Seeing a Nutritionist?

deductivemom

Cautiously expecting #1
Reaction score
I am counting down to TTC (about 10 months still to go) and coming up with weekly challenges to get ready. Last week, I went to see a nutritionist about healthy weight loss before TTC. I have been on a firm diet for about 2 months and have only managed to lose a couple of pounds, so I wanted to get some advice on where I was going wrong and what else I could do. Luckily for me, part of my support as a graduate student is access to various free or inexpensive health services, including a few visits with a nutritionist.

To my surprise, the nutritionist's question was why I am so worried about weight loss when I have been making good progress on getting healthier and fitter for pregnancy. That really threw me for a loop. All I know is, the books and the articles all say you should try to get to a normal BMI before TTC if possible, but I never really see a comparison of women with higher weight who have very healthy practices vs. women of a normal weight who have unhealthy behaviors. I am definitely still interested in trying to lose weight but I am trying to balance that with a greater focus on health too.

What about you? What have doctors and other people advised about weight and health before TTC? Do you know about any research that shows it is the weight specifically that matters for a healthy pregnancy, or maybe that weight isn't as important as being healthy? Any suggestions for someone who is eating less, eating healthy, and exercising but still not losing much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->