Self representing in court

Discussion in 'Single Parents' started by Emsabub, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Emsabub

Emsabub Well-Known Member

does anyone know if this will be something difficult to do?
    My court date is coming up & im terrified of representing myself, even though my side is completely true & honest and I go a bit red/embarrassed when public speaking.
    Cafcass have done their phone call but the report won’t be ready for another week due to issues with kids from a previous relationship ex was banned from seeing, they need to cover all bases and the reasons why. I’m just super nervous!

2. JessdueJan

JessdueJan Single Mam to 3 & 2 Whippets

I have just been through the court process, it dragged on for 8 long months with 6 court hearings.
    I think representing yourself is do-able along as your are confident.
    I was a wreck, I knew my side was true and what was best for the children, I had cafcass in my corner and even then I just crumbled in the court room and would never have got my side across without the solicitor being there to speak on my behalf.

If you have the confidence to keep composure under pressure then you will be just fine. Good luck.. I hope its resolved quickly and with the best
    possible outcome xx

3. LadySparkles

LadySparkles Member

Yes it is doable. I’ve been through it but we had a solicitor and she did not. One thing we learned from her was to keep it factual. Do not say anything you can not back up with fact, it’ll discredit you. If you use only fact and have evidence, it’ll also help you to come across more confident. Good luck. It’s an awful stressful time, I feel your pain but it’ll be over soon. Just stick to truth and fact. Love and light xxx

4. Emsabub

Emsabub Well-Known Member

Thank you girls!
    My whole side is backed up because I’m proud to say I’ve done nothing wrong, it ended up with supervised contact for the duration of a Section 7 report to be produced.
    Back to court end of January! Luckily they accounted for baby’s due date early Jan so I don’t have to worry about going back with a newborn at home !