Self-Settling and Bed Time Stories

Lightworker

Reaction score
Since DD1 was born, her bedtime habits have evolved from nursing/rocking to sleep gradually to reading a story and a cuddle. She usually is asleep even before story is done. So I was just curious, to the moms whose LOs self settle, do you read a bedtime story or do you put them to bed awake and leave and do stories during the day? Just curious

When Omar was younger, I used to read him a story while he's drinking his bedtime bottle then put him in his cot to self settle & sleep. He used to self settle up until he was 8.5 months. Then he started to stand up in his cot, & refuses to self settle. Since then I lay him on our bed, read a story to him, then he starts rolling over the bed until he settles & sleep & sometimes he sleeps before I finish the story. Then I move him to his cot. We also read stories & books during the day as he loves books.

We're not there yet but we'll probably be doing stories. I've started singing him the same song before bed each night when he's super fussy and it really helps. I also love the idea of a bedtime story, it's a tradition that can continue until they get embarrassed and kick you out of the room :rofl:

Well my dd is 4 so dont know if that counts but she went from nursing to sleep (til 22 months)to her own room,bedtime story and self settles no problem.

We cant read stories, she will only stay awake for them! :rofl: but self settling works now.

LO now self settles following a period of CC (tried everything else and needed a non-boobie way of settling before going to child care). We read a bedtime story in the bedroom before bed as if we don't she becomes hysterical as soon as we go into the bedroom.

After his milk I put him in his sleeping bag and sit him on my lap for a very short bible story and a prayer. Sometimes he starts dropping off on my lap during our short prayer so I just make it shorter and pop him in his cot.

I make sure he goes in awake or he wakes after 10 mins all upset!

I do a BF (the only one of the day now) but make sure she is awake when she goes in her cot. She just rolls onto her front, looks at me whilst I tuck her in and wind the mobile then turns her face away and goes to sleep.

During the day while I'm at work she self settles for her nap, if she's very tired she cries but usually she's fine.

I'd like to swap the BF for a bedtime story but worried that might be too stimulating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->