Seriously annoyed - hb & gd

Emmea12uk

The Folic acid police!
Reaction score
My mW came to do my hb booking today and said the the local nhs trust are in the process of changing all the blood glucose machines. The old ones are all out of order and the new ones are incomplete. Whilst I can use my own during labour - my baby must be tested after 3 hours and that means I have to go to hospital within 3 hours of giving birth if I have refused to labour there - which of course they recommend.

I asked was this the case even if my blood glucose was good throughout labour and baby wasn't at risk. She said yes as it was policy and if I refused despite there being no clear indication that baby was hypoglycemic, they would call child safety team and maybe take her from me!

This is a massive blow! What can I do?! I could even test her myself but my machine isn't approved by their new policy! Even though they gave it to me. It breaks my heart to imagine after a successful homebirth I have to go in for 24 hours with her.

My instincts tell me to lock the door and deal with child safety if they call them. I know how to tell if she is hypo and as far as I am concerned she isn't at risk if my blood glucose isn't high.

That sounds totally ridiculous :wacko: Is there someone higher up you could speak to? It's pretty unacceptable for them to be in that situation with their equipment :shrug:

Yes I agree. Their equipment being on the blink is not your issue! Have you spoken to your doula to formulate a plan of action? x

She had to rush off but will speak to me tomorrow. Her face said a lot. As far as I am concerned, if they have equipment in hospital which can be used then they can bring it to me!

My mw was very apologetic and said it was over her head and she is the supervisor. She said she would do her best and if baby comes closer to her due date it shouldn't be a problem.

How can they take my baby away from me after just two hours for policy reasons if it is obvious she is fine? Makes me want to give up and cry;(

Don't give up. You've been through much tougher times Em. You ARE strong x

No, don't give up Emmea - quite right - they should bring the equipment to you.

Mw seems to be trying everything she can - she even asked me to get the gp to prescribe collaboration fluid for the hospital machine

Kick up a massive stink!!!!!! Don't get down hearted - get angry and productive!

Let us know how you get on - don't except this.. there will some serious answers they will have to have to hand for taking a baby into care under child protection without clinical need! The clinical need or negligence HAS to be established - and it is the Trust here who is being negligent.

Don't put up with their threats becuase of thier incompetancies¬¬!

Fumming for you!!
XXx

they r bullying u into agreeing to something your not happy with its ridiculous sorry your having to go through this x

Do you think I should do the checks myself and just refuse to budge?

I agree - don't give up. :hugs: Where there's a will and all that.....

Hit the trust first - make sure they are aware that you're not taking this lying down (excuse the pun!) :gun: Surely a MW that doesn't turn up with equipment that she has foretold you she wants to use is negligent in her duty? The trust may just have to grant a concession to ensure she doesn't end up in that position - a reminder may be required.

If you can't get through, go around - a MW's failure to produce the equipment she wants to use is of NO consequence to you or your daughter! I'd question what the ambulance crews are using. Will they leave emergency care with no glucometer? I'd seriously doubt that! That being the case, there is clearly the facility in the system. The system is *just* going to have to try harder.

A shot from your solicitor should clear the decks! :gun: Should the need arise.

Or do you have a local friendly paramedic? Some Community/First Responders carry them - dependent on the trust they work for, of course.

Write a letter to the head of midwifery and to one of the supervisors of midwives (details of your local Smw can be found at the Nursing and Midwifery Council website (www.nmc-uk.org)
Expect clarification of what is going on.
Detail the threat that has been made against you.
Expect an apology
Expect assurances that this matter will be rectified forthwith, and ask for details of how it is to be resolved.

Would I use my own finger prick test? - Yes, but, only if I thought there was concerns about baby being hypo at birth - otherwise, I would just get on with feeding and falling in love with your baby in those precious hours after birth. You don't have to consent to this test being done on the baby, even if they had the approved kit!
XxX

Just had a look at your county, chick. I'm in Oxon. I *know* the crews are carrying glucometers (the four counties are under the two trusts - Northern and Southern House - effectively) .

We've got 'em. Equality states you should too.

Do you think I should do the checks myself and just refuse to budge?

YES!! If you feel she needs the test, do it yourself. If she seems fine, get on with things as you would normally.
As I said on your status they have no right to force you to go into hospital. The likelihood is she'll be absolutely fine. Stand your ground, they are trying to scare you into birthing at the hospital hun. No idea how they thought saying they would take her away from you if you didn't take her in was justified since if they did you'd sue their arses off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->