Seriously the UK has gone to pot!

If you wanna work in McDonald's for the rest of your life then fair enough but i have more ambition than that, HOWEVER, how many people do you know that can afford tuition fees of £27000 for 3 years, plus afford to live in that time?
In a few years there would be no teachers, midwives,doctors, lawyers.... All of these are graduates who i can almost guarantee have had government help in paying their fees.
Not trying to e funny just getting my side across!

If you wanna work in McDonald's for the rest of your life then fair enough but i have more ambition than that, HOWEVER, how many people do you know that can afford tuition fees of £27000 for 3 years, plus afford to live in that time?
In a few years there would be no teachers, midwives,doctors, lawyers.... All of these are graduates who i can almost guarantee have had government help in paying their fees.
Not trying to e funny just getting my side across!

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educat...udentLoansCoursesStartingFrom1998/DG_10034866

That's what you will be paying back. Without sounding rude, if your degree will only offer you a job which means you can't afford to pay £70 a month....maybe it isn't worth doing?

Loans do cover tuition fees, but the pp said tht if i needed money off the government to go then maybe it would be better working in McDonald's!

I think you missed the point Blah was trying to get across OP.

Maybe you should request to admin that this thread be closed, it feels to me that it is starting to get heated and you are getting defensive. Unfortunately, bringing up a controversial subject on these forums brings mixed views- you can either take it or you can't. Not everyone will agree with your opinions and that is part and parcel of life.

If you don't like it, maybe you should keep your controversial views to yourself and don't make threads like this.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude- but I have been on various forums for years now and these "benefit" threads always end up in the same way- people arguing and trying to get their point across and it doesn't work.

Least you can hold your head up high hun, Knowing you worked hard for what you have achieved and set a good example for your children because at the end of the day you will end up with the better life, people who sit on benefits all there life with no intention of working dont have anything worth being proud of. Your doing the right thing and working hard to do so you have your pride.

when I was living in the uk I was unemployed for about 6 months. it was the worst time if my life. I was on job seekers so had to sign on every 2 weeks. I tried so hard looking for a job and got no help from the job centre. all they did was ask me if I had looked for a job and that was it. if I said no they wouldn't have cared. there were people in the queue ahead if me that I saw every time I went there and they all said no didn't have time etc its mo wonder so many people do it because its so easy. luckily I got a job in a care home so I no longer needed it but without it I would have been screwed.

now I live here I teach English in other people's homes for a small company. this money however isn't enough for me to live on but it pays my health insurance. I claim a little money from the job centre but god they make it difficult. you have to do something for it (I don't at the moment because of the baby but will have to resume when she's 1). you either have to do a course or voluntary work. you have to sign in when you arrive and your placement lets the job centre know if you we're there or not. if you don't make an appearance without confirmation from a doctor your money gets stopped (or reduced in intervals of 20%) until you get nothing) if you keep it up. if you get down to 0% you get vouchers to buy food instead.

that's how it should be done - you have to do something for it and if you don't then you lose it. of course this just applies to normal job seeker type money, I don't know what happens with other benefits but its not made easy that's for sure

Loans do cover tuition fees, but the pp said tht if i needed money off the government to go then maybe it would be better working in McDonald's!

:shrug: I didnt say that at all.

Yeh it would be more with the mobility but alcoholics can not claim mobility in all cases and I expect the ones that can have underlying health issues too.

I agree to an extent. I hate that people tar everyone with the same brush, some people genuinely do NEED benefits, others do claim falsely.

I don't like of course people wrongly claiming benefits but I don't see why people shouldnt claim CB, CTC, or WTC. Atm we only claim Child benefit as hubby earns enough in the army and our pad is cheap. However next year we will be civvies in the UK, hubby will look for work but we will start to claim CTC too. Alot of jobs are minimum wage and we couldnt survive on that.

x

Our area is so poor that for most people they cannot afford to work, it's all wrong! :shrug:

i dont work (not through choice) made redundant in june, and i don't get a penny from benefits

It makes me very sad to see people who genuinely don't want to work, but I am sick to the back teeth of people, who've in most cases never had to live on benefits, insinuate that those on benefits live a life of luxury.
I hate being on them. After leaving work last year and applying for every job I can since, no-one will employ me it seems, because I have no qualifications and I can't afford to study because I am a single parent with no access to childcare. The jobcentre couldn't give a shite, because I'm on IS they don't find me a priority to find work, all they do is tick a box once every six months and send me on my way. And now I've had a letter through to say council tax benefit is to be stopped, so I have to find over £100 per month from what the government determines is the minimum we can live on to survive.

The system isn't there to punish those who want to further their education, it's to help those in poverty have a chance too. Without it there would be many more children from poor families, growing up and going on to benefits because they have no chance of furthering their education. Would that be better? :shrug:

lol my dad is disabled in a wheelchair, lost an arm and no speach. he cant walk more then 5ft. But he has to go to interviews at jobcenter every year to prove he cant work. He has carers go in 5x a day! lol he worked self employed for 45 years.

And then you have the people with a "bad back" but can go sky diving and get no problems what so ever.

I dont work. Im looking at night work and making my cv tonight lol. my hubs works though. tbh i couldnt do a day job, i cant afford childcare!

It makes me very sad to see people who genuinely don't want to work, but I am sick to the back teeth of people, who've in most cases never had to live on benefits, insinuate that those on benefits live a life of luxury.
I hate being on them. After leaving work last year and applying for every job I can since, no-one will employ me it seems, because I have no qualifications and I can't afford to study because I am a single parent with no access to childcare. The jobcentre couldn't give a shite, because I'm on IS they don't find me a priority to find work, all they do is tick a box once every six months and send me on my way. And now I've had a letter through to say council tax benefit is to be stopped, so I have to find over £100 per month from what the government determines is the minimum we can live on to survive.

The system isn't there to punish those who want to further their education, it's to help those in poverty have a chance too. Without it there would be many more children from poor families, growing up and going on to benefits because they have no chance of furthering their education. Would that be better? :shrug:

No to be rude or anything, but how old are you? I know the government will cover childcare for under 21s? If they go to college etc to get qualifications. There is also an adult learning grant which helps towards the cost of books, materials etc. just thought I'd let you know about it x

I think it truely sucks that SOME people who do not work but claim every benefit under the sun are sitting happy. Whereas in some cases, like say my husband who went to school and studied hard, went on to uni studied hard, medical school, trained all hours under the sun to get a good career, a caring career. Now face pay cuts, pention cuts, low staffing, told to work more hours. Never knowing what's going to be thrown at him next. The goverment are truely something else. It makes me sick.

It's very easy to see things black & white, the amount people get on benefits is the minimum amount to live on, as citizens of a democratic country they are entitled to claim a good standard of living while going through difficult or uncertain times in their lives and you could argue that they don't always get this. The problem is with wages, employment and the circumstances around that i.e childcare, minimum wage, cost of living etc rather then benefits. Yes there a minority who abuse/cheat the system (which has been blown out proportion might I add), but there is a negative minority for everything, this is no different, I'm sure if you look for long enough there will be a statistic out there that will damn you and yours. I would rather live somewhere where a minority cheat the system but the majority are able to use it fairly then a society where we climb over each other to get to the top. We all enter this world with nothing, and we all leave with nothing, I would hate to see anyone in this country be brought to poverty because of what others perceive to be justice or right because that would be neither. *gets off soapbox*

No to be rude or anything, but how old are you? I know the government will cover childcare for under 21s? If they go to college etc to get qualifications. There is also an adult learning grant which helps towards the cost of books, materials etc. just thought I'd let you know about it x

I'm 23. If I started learning my benefits would be stopped, so I couldn't pay my rent anyway. It's literally like smacking your head against a brick wall, there's talk of all this help etc but it's seemingly impossible to get, and ALG just isn't enough to live unfortunately. The best I can hope for is an apprenticeship, which is basically working full time for part time wage, but at least there is training included and you can claim WTC which will help with childcare.
I didn't know childcare was covered for under 21s though - it's a shame it's for older parents, I'm sure it would help millions!

I'm 23. If I started learning my benefits would be stopped, so I couldn't pay my rent anyway. It's literally like smacking your head against a brick wall, there's talk of all this help etc but it's seemingly impossible to get, and ALG just isn't enough to live unfortunately. The best I can hope for is an apprenticeship, which is basically working full time for part time wage, but at least there is training included and you can claim WTC which will help with childcare.
I didn't know childcare was covered for under 21s though - it's a shame it's for older parents, I'm sure it would help millions!

Are you sure your benefits would stop? When I was a single mum ans planner on starting s course there was no mention of losing benefits. Also most of my childcare would have been covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->