• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sertraline withdrawal in toddler?

Linzz30

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been on Sertraline (50mg) for OCD, on and off for about 2 and a half years. I weaned myself off it when I was pregnant but my anxiety came back and I ended up back on it at the start of this year. The doctor said it would be fine to continue breastfeeding (not ideal, but she said the consequences of an anxious mum would outweigh any small amount of meds that made it's way through the milk.) My boy is 2 in September. The OCD is a long term thing that I've had since I was about 9 or 10 but this is the first time I've dealt with it.

A couple of weeks ago, I realised that I was feeling quite a bit better and came off the tablets. I had been taking 1 every second day and thought it would be okay just to come off them as it's a low dose. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but my wee one has started waking up in the night and having really bad tantrums - really screaming if he doesn't get something that he wants. Last night he was up for 2 hours, not upset but just wide awake! It's been really hard in the morning as he's really clingy and cries whenever I want to do anything, i.e. make a cup of tea. He's usually quite a happy kid and is good at amusing himself for a few mins if I need to do something. It has been a horrible week because I haven't been feeling great coming off the tablets and trying not to cry in the morning, then he has been really stroppy, we've kind of been feeding off each other! The stress has made my OCD kick in a lot more which isn't good for any of us.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this? Or could it just be teething (he's been clutching his mouth at times but does this quite a bit anyway if he's tired etc) or is it the onset of the terrible 2s? Could he be having withdrawal from the sertraline? Feel so guilty :(

I am going to go to the doctor for advice but they never seem to know much!

(Ps I think Sertraline is Zoloft in the US?)

Following this thread as I also take it and I'm breastfeeding. Could just be normal toddlerisms though! My eldest is going through a phase right now like that.

I have taken it and come off it while breastfeeding and it didn't seem to affect my LO. I believe amounts in breastmilk are extremely small, so i wouldn't think there would be withdrawal, but i have no evidence to back that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->