Severe GERD

redneckhippy

Reaction score
I've been struggling with heartburn my entire pregnancy, but it has become severe GERD. I take tums all the time and my doctor put me on Zantac twice a day, but it hasn't improved much. I could deal with it if it was just the pain of heartburn, but it's so bad that my esophagus goes into spasms and I can't swallow and it feels like my throat is closing. Last week it happened when I was driving and I had to pull to the side of the road. Last night was the worst yet. I woke up with my throat in spasms that wouldn't go away and ended up making me throw up for about 10 minutes, then I was coughing and still had a tight throat for hours. I left a message for my doctor, but I'm worried about going on a stronger medication because Zantac is category B, but Priolesec is category C. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to put my baby at risk, but I'm worried that I am doing permanent damage.

Has anyone experienced symtpoms this severe and found anything that helps. I try to not eat too much at any one time and also not eat too late.

I don't have this problem to the same extent that you do. I tend to be ok during the day. My biggest issues are at night.

I have woken up chocking on stomach acid a number of times lately. It is the most awful feeling. It was so bad a couple weeks ago that I literally had stomach acid coming out my nose. I didn't throw up but I coughed for at least an hour and thought I was going to throw up a number of times I was coughing so hard. I have found that elevating my head quite a bit when sleeping has helped a lot. I typically like a flat pillow but have managed to adjust to having a few big pillows that keep my head up quite high. This seems to prevent the acid from sneaking up as easily.

I hope you find a solution!

Oh and avoiding tomato based products and citrus (especially later in the day) has also helped a lot.

Omg i cant believe i have found someone with the same problem as me i have suffered this for years the spasms get so bad i feel like im going to stop breathing i havent been able to swallow for the whole of my pregnancy all iv managed is mash and water because i get so ill from it. Im on 20mg of omeprazole is that prilosec? Its absolutely fine to take while pregnant i wanted a higher dose because its not working too great but they have no proof if a higher dose is safe so im waiting it out until when babys born. What dose are u on? Is there anything that helps your spasms? X

Hi, I'm in the same boat too..... Omeprozol is Prilosec .... I have taken it with both pregnancies and everything was just fine .... It can get dangerous to leave severe gets untreated :/ and Zantac is a jake for severe gerd.... It's a very mild medication.....maybe once you get back on track with Prilosec u can switch back to Zantac ? Or so every other day?

I've been vomiting blood because of GERD, so I know it's already done damage to my esophagus (I've had severe reflux all my life but pregnancy makes it so much worse.) been taking prescription strength ranitidine and omapresole. I don't know if this will work for you ladies, as it seems to be the total opposite of what is recommended but the only foods I can keep down and that don't cause me pain is anything from McDonalds. I would assume the greasyness would make the heartburn worse but it is the only thing that I can eat and not be in pain. Maybe it's something you could try?

Omg i cant believe i have found someone with the same problem as me i have suffered this for years the spasms get so bad i feel like im going to stop breathing i havent been able to swallow for the whole of my pregnancy all iv managed is mash and water because i get so ill from it. Im on 20mg of omeprazole is that prilosec? Its absolutely fine to take while pregnant i wanted a higher dose because its not working too great but they have no proof if a higher dose is safe so im waiting it out until when babys born. What dose are u on? Is there anything that helps your spasms? X

I just started back on the PPI yesterday (no prilosec but the same type of medication, I think just under one of the different names?) because my Ob agreed we need to get it under control. I also haven't found anyone who has heard of the spasms. It's aweful!! You tell people heartburn and they have no idea. It's not just indigestion. I actually thought I was going into anaphylaxis when it first happened. I'm on 20 mg, but I don't know if it helps yet because it I just started it yesterday and I think it takes a few days to build up. I really hope it does. As much as it worries me taking a medication, this just can't be good for me or baby. For now I've taken to just piling pillows in my bed and sleeping sitting up and trying to walk around when I feel the spasms coming. :shrug:

I'm currently on 300mg of ranitidine at night along with gaviscon when I need it but I still suffer quite abit as soon as I lay down at night! It's awful. I often have to stay propped up and have a glass of cold milk to neutralise the acid about 30 mins before I lay down to go to sleep. Iv read drinking plenty of water throughout the day to keep the acid neutralised also helps but I always forget to drink during the day so try to have a couple of glasses before bed along with taking a glass to bed so I can have small sips when needed xx

I had this too, it was the worst, I woke up one night with such bad reflux that my airway was blocked, it was super painful and scary!! My OBGYN put me on Pantaloc daily and I haven't had a bit of heartburn since! I would recommend asking about it!

I have it too, but not quite as bad as what yours sounds like :hugs: For me, it is mostly at night and I was popping Tums like a madwoman with no relief at all. Then they put me on ranitidine (Zantac) but I had a strange reaction to it and it was too harsh on my kidneys and stomach (resulted in severe cramping that landed me in the hospital one day)...now I take Gaviscon before bed, and it helps somewhat as long as I sleep almost upright (which I hate). It's so painful and causing insomnia, and it still doesn't sound as bad as a lot of you ladies, so you have my full sympathy! Hope everyone feels better soon!!!

I told my doc about the spasms and he laughed and told me it was just in my head :( thats why reading this makes me feel so relieved that im not going mad. If i dont get the spasms i get a lump feeling in the left side of my throat like somethings stuck and no matter how much i swallow it just wont go. If you manage to find anything please let me know iv suffered years with it. The ppi can take up to 2 weeks to work mine work on and off hope they work for u i know how scary it can be wen ur throat spasms mine feels tight now after eating it feels like when uv been tryin to hold a cry back and u get that dry scratchy throat its just awful :( good luck anyhow. I cant wait to up my dose when babys here x

It most definately is not in your head! I would see a different doctor!! I can assure you, being unable to swallow and having my throat spasm and tighten is not "in my head" and it's not "in your head" either.

Also, like you said, sometimes I do also just get the lump and it doesn't progress to spasms, usually if I notice it right away and am somewhere where I can get up and walk around and I kind of push my chest out like a peacock. It doesn't always stop it, but if I get on it right away I can sometimes keep it at the "lump knot" stage.

I didnt think it was because it comes out of nowhere. The best thing i do is open a window for air and do a puzzle taking your mind off it helps when the tightness gets scary or i play a game on my phone. Im hoping i cab eat something over than mash this christmas lol x

Oh my goodness I've been getting this too! Literally every half an hour overnight I wake up choking on stomach acid and undigested food. It's horrible. I'm on omeprazole but also living on gaviscon and calcium carbonate tablets.

Not sure how much help it will be but I found a remedy online yesterday for 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a small glass of warm water and it gave me instant relief after hours of pain. It only lasted an hour or so but any relief is better than none when it gets really bad. Also once it came back it was a bit less severe x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->