severely swollen feet after c-section??

mtnprotracy

Reaction score
First, baby Ben is here and fabulous :D. Uncomplicated c-section went well. We are currently in the NICU because he had trouble regulating his sugar. I had GD. Anyway, we hope to be home in a few days and I will do a proper birth story :).

Just dropping in for a quick question. My feet are INSANELY swollen. They were not swollen during pregnancy, and I have been told it is due to all the fluid pumped into me during surgery....that it is fairly common.

Have any of you ladies experienced this? If so, did anything help treat the swelling?? None of my shoes fit....it reminds me of the scene in the Harry Potter book when Harry blows everyone up and they float away like big balloons....lol. Any advice or experience appreciated :).

Attachments

• 100_0718.jpg
    100_0718.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 16
No advice sorry, but had to say he is gorgeous, well done & congratulations!!

Completely normal my legs swelled so much during my first EMCS that i couldn't even bend my knees! It will go down just try to keep them elevated as much as possible.

Congratulations on your gorgeous boy!

Hits, it is normal so dnt worry. I didn't actually have it this time- my on was born 6 days ago, but after my first I looked like the elephant man- even my MW laughed at me! It's fluid, keep drinking, keep moving your feet and you will wee it all out x

my feet and legs were huge for about 2 weeks its just all the water retention that has no where to go so it goes to your feet (midwife told me) so completely normal and it will go, try having your feet raised for a bit everyday :)
and congratulations

My feet and ankles we soo swollen after my c-section

I think it had partly to do with all the fluids they give you in the iv.

Mine went down pretty fast after I was able to get up and walk around.

First of all, congratulations on the birth of baby Ben :happydance:

I had the huge swollen feet/legs too. I think it seemed to go down when I got out of hospital and was moving around more. Being in bed for 5 days in hospital definitely didn't help! There was noticable improvement after about a week I think. To start with it was difficult to bend my knees but it gets better quickly :) oh, and I only had one pair of flip flops I could wear and they left horrible indentations on my feet!

Huge congrats on the baby.

I had massive swelling after my section from my thighs down. I was told to drink all the water I could get in to me and to keep my feet up. Drinking a ton of water was easy because I already drink so much of it but keeping your feet up with two kids seems pretty impossible. lol. I was told it could take weeks to go down since it was so bad. My baby is 6 weeks old and I still have a little swelling left. It was so bad I could barely walk about a week after my section.

I had swelling as well because I was walking from the ward to the NICU to BF Alex. Are you wearing compression stockings? Those should help too :)

Yes! my feet and ankles/calves swelled so much after my c-section. i had pretty much zero swelling during pregnancy. i was so surprised! i guess it is all those fluids they pump into you...plus, they give you pitocin afterwards to help contract the uterus which apparently causes some swelling as well. i thought there is no way this swelling will subside. however, within a few days it was gone. hooray!

by the way...congrats!

Im swollen too! My right side more than my left, I have odd sized elephant feet :(

This happened to me. The swelling actually lasted for a few weeks after the surgery, then just went down overnight!

I had that massively for weeks. My legs were swollen from my hips to the end of my toes. My feet were so swollen that it felt like they were asleep, like when you get pins and needles feelings in them. The skin looked and felt like it was going to split, it was horrific. I went for a follow up and my dr sent me for an emergency ultrasound because he was worried about a blood clot I was so swollen. I was told to go straight to the clinic within half an hour and go straight to the desk and be the first to get my appointment. The doctor at the clinic did the ultrasound (not the tech, but the actual doctor) because the complications were so imminent and frightening if it was a blood clot. BUT, when the dr saw me he knew it was nothing. He said that blood clots are more rare in pregnant women than in healthy people and he hates that it gets associated so much. That being said I was checked and eventually the swelling went down.

I had my legs up, and massaged and kept frozen pea bags on them for days. It didn't help that I couldn't walk, and yes, it's from the fluid that they pump into you during surgery AND the fact that baby is gone out of you but your body is used to pumping that much more fluid through your now smaller body.

I had baby 11 days ago now and my feet are just starting to go down. I noticed yesterday that my shoes didnt feel so tight :)

Absolutely normal. My feet weren't swollen during pregnancy either, and then I had the emcs and my feet swelled up so bad! It was disgusting and they didn't even look like my own feet! The swelling is gone now and I had my section 5 days ago. Congrats on your little man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->