sex talk

alicecooper

1 girl, 3 boys
Reaction score
What age did you do the birds and the bees talk with your kids? Also does anybody know roughly when they do it in school?

I'm really not sure when I'm going to do it. I was planning in tying it in with the talks at the school.
As far as I was aware I thought it was at some point during year 4 at school but I'm assuming your eldest is older than year 4 and hasn't so I'm not sure.

I'm really not sure when I'm going to do it. I was planning in tying it in with the talks at the school.
As far as I was aware I thought it was at some point during year 4 at school but I'm assuming your eldest is older than year 4 and hasn't so I'm not sure.

She's Year 4. She's a September baby so one of the eldest in her year.

Ok - she should get some info during this school year. I'm not sure what they get told though but you can get the info from the school.

Proper sex talks with discussions on masturbation, STI's and a wooden pole to practice putting on a condom was done when I was 13 here in New Zealand. So first year of high school.

It was utterly mortifying! Especially when I got to assist my English teach with the condom part. Funny now to think back on it though.

Puberty and basic egg meets sperm was when I was 8.

We have done the basic biology side with Joshua. It was in a book that he was reading so we covered it then.

More in depth talk will come later. Probably coincide with when School does it.

I remember being 12/13 at School covering contraception, STDs etc

Puberty and basic egg meets sperm was when I was 8.

It's more the "penis entering vagina" part that I'm wondering about. What age was that? Did that go hand-in-hand with the sperm meeting the egg?

My DD knows about periods, she knows about pregnancy, she knows about puberty, and she knows about childbirth and menopause.

HOWEVER

Although she knows a woman has eggs, and that unused eggs get flushed away during periods, and she knows that sometimes eggs become babies, she thinks that God just decides whether or not an egg is to become a baby or not. She thinks it's a case of 'if God decides this particular egg will be a baby, then he sends a soul to it and it starts growing'.

I mean, she knows that children are a bit like their mum and a bit like their dad, but she's not been told how the dad passes his DNA to the mother! I.E. it's the physical act of sex that she hasn't been told about by me or DH and I was wondering when to cover that with her.

I told her what a tampon was a couple of weeks ago and she was horrified! (She had only previously known about sanitary towels). She was like "OMG I'm NEVER PUTTING ANYTHING UP THERE" and seemed really disgusted, so I'm thinking she's gonna freak out if she finds out that penises go up there!

Well one of the schools we looked at for our two shows the year 4's cartoons of different sexual positions! I don't think it's quite the karma sutra but 2 or 3 different ones!!!
Tbh at 8 I don't really think they need to know about positions but maybe I'm just a prude lol.
I'm guessing that if they are showing those then they are telling them where the penis going.

My children (they're ten, nine and six) all know already, the little one asks way more questions than the older two so she was younger than I would of liked but I will always answer their questions honestly. Here they cover puberty in year five and that leads onto sex education a bit, but year six is the main sex ed part where not just the biology is covered but relationships etc.

I have told mine. I gave then factual information as casually as I give out road directions (lol) answered questions and its not come up again. I think they do sex ed year 5 z

School had an informational session about puberty, reproduction and intercourse the last month of 4th grade (my kids were 9 years old when that came about).

They already knew the gist of it all (as did most others) because we live in a rural farming community and it's pretty common sight to see acts of the birds and bees going on in fields on the way to school in the spring.

As parents we filled in the holes of what they'd already seen and school just wrapped it up. They continue to review and add small snippits the end of each subsequent year but the bulk of the information has been delivered and thankfully it hasn't been an awkward topic for us at all thus far. Even ethical issues surrounding it like abortion have been touched on (brought up because of political commercials on the television). We make it very factual and invite all discussion in an encouraging manner so it really wasn't a big deal to them. When we went through IVF earlier this year they understood 100% too.

When I was at school (I'm 27) the first talk of any kind of sex education was in year 6 age 10/11. It touched briefly upon personal hygiene, start of puberty and being in love.
I don't think we got anything else til year 8 & 9.
Looks like times have changed.
Xx

Mine know they may get hair soon and Ru knows about discharge/periods/moods amd they both know about Hygiene. We are very open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->