Sexual Discrimination.. Or?

moomoo

Mumma to 2 & 1 in heaven!
Reaction score
Hi all! This is my first thread here in an age, but wanted to post somewhere for a bit of *almost* anonymous advise.

I've been working for my company for over 11 years, part time for my current department for nearly 6 years. Without sounding like I'm bragging, I know my job inside out, I'm confident and I've also been covering my managers work (he passed away in October) since then.

Fast forward to this week, a meeting is called and all of a sudden a member of the team (who has been with the dept for just over 6 months) is suddenly being referred to as "management" in this meeting - every idea that he brings up is something me or my colleagues have brought up in the office previously. It is brought up in this meeting that this man will now be our immediate superior, we are to report to him before going to our (new) manager.

Now aside from the manager completely shirking his responsiblities, the ones of which he was brought in to do. A job has been fabricated within our office for a man with minimal experience and shocking (at best) admin skills. Now he's saying to me, that no promotion has been given to him, but I'm pretty sure that is exactly what has happened.

Am I right in thinking that this "job" should have at least been advertised to give the workers within our office the chance to apply. We have 3 part time workers, one of which is pregnant. Am I right to assume we weren't offered this "job" because of our hours and situation? Am I right to wonder why a male with less experience and qualifications tops a woman with more?

Would you be annoyed in this situation? I need to know what to do in the way of taking it further, should I get details of our responsibilities put down in writing?

Anyone been in a similar situ?

I would have thought that a post like this would need to be advertised internally?

I'm no expert but it sounds a bit dodgy

I would have thought that a post like this would need to be advertised internally?

I'm no expert but it sounds a bit dodgy

I assumed this too! :shrug:

I thought legally all jobs had to be advertised even if they were just moving someone up?

I thought legally all jobs had to be advertised even if they were just moving someone up?

I was looking into it this morning when I couldn't sleep, it says they don't legally have to, but should to as to avoid discrimination :shrug:

Are you part time by choice, or part time by job demands? That's the only thing I can possibly think of in this scenario. I know where I work, they wouldn't offer a supervisor position to a part time employee, unless the employee agreed to transition to full time, as all of our supervisor positions are full time duties.

Hello - I am HR :wave:

Legally, they don't have to advertise, but it is best practice to, if you part-timers have been ruled out because of the hours unfortunately that's not a reasonable excuse - they should advertise the role as full time, and then it is down to the 3 of you to decide whether you want to up your hours or not!!

If I was you, I would put in a grievance about it, it would be very costly for you to go to court and claim discrimination and they know that hence why they are trying to get away with it.

If you need any help let me know xx

I chose to go part time, but my children are now full time in school so had I had known the job was available then I would have applied for it. I think they assumed that we wouldn't be interested due to our hours, which is wrong surely?

I'm going to get down in writing what the different job expectations are on weds when I go in, and find out exactly what's happening. He's saying he hasn't been promoted, but it looks very much like he's "acting" superior in the office if he's not been promoted. He could be saying he's not been promoted as he's been told to say that, how would I find that out?

If it is the case we've been discounted on regards of hours and most probably our sex, I will be definitely filing a grievance :(

I chose to go part time, but my children are now full time in school so had I had known the job was available then I would have applied for it. I think they assumed that we wouldn't be interested due to our hours, which is wrong surely?

I'm going to get down in writing what the different job expectations are on weds when I go in, and find out exactly what's happening. He's saying he hasn't been promoted, but it looks very much like he's "acting" superior in the office if he's not been promoted. He could be saying he's not been promoted as he's been told to say that, how would I find that out?

If it is the case we've been discounted on regards of hours and most probably our sex, I will be definitely filing a grievance :(

How can he argue that he hasn't received a promotion if he's now "immediate supervisor" on duty? Something about it seems very fishy to me. I don't know much about the corporate world, but this definitely sounds unfair. Are you able to ask the person/people in charge of making this hiring decision what the circumstances are?

Either he is just lying to make himself sound special or he has been told he is acting superior. If it isn't a promotion the employer is allowed to just choose someone in the interim, before any job changes etc though you and your other female colleagues must be considered regardless of hours.

Let us know how you get on xx

Playing devils advocate it could be that he has asked for development so that he's ready to take on a more senior role as and when one becomes available. He may be taking on additional responsibility as part of a development plan to build experience and gain feedback from his manager. In that case it wouldn't be a promotion or change of job title/salary/role etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->