Shall I send OH off for a sperm count?

Lea05x

Pregnant # 1
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wanted abit of advice really.....has anyone sent their OH/DH of to the docs to have a sperm count? Also is there a time limit to this? We have only been ttc for the past four months if my OH went the docs now and asked them to check if he had any little swimmers would they say no its too soon?

Its usually a year until they will do tests in the UK, I got told that they wouldnt do anything until then.

You can get home sperm tests that will say if there is actually sperm there but they dont give any more detail than that x x x

If you're over 35 then it's 6 months.
As far as I know, they first do all the tests on the woman and then test the man. That's what's currently happening in my case.

Oh really....well im only 25 and my fella is 30. Guess we will have to stick it out abit longer then and pray we get our BFP soon.....x

Or just tell the doctor you've been trying over a year? I'm not ecouraging you to lie, of course, but why wait?

My Gyno is getting my DF to get an SA & me to get blood work done at the same time... I told DF that if he wouldn't willing do the SA I would force a sample from him. :haha: It takes both partners to make a bean, and I may have issues... but that doesn't mean that he doesn't either. I feel that it falls under the "better safe than sorry" category.

Best of Luck Hun, && Fx'd!

Haha Jacinda I like your way of thinking :)

Cara89 have you been ttc long?

Car89 just looked at your ticker...lol! You are past the year mark of ttc, Im only just going into my 5th month, dont think docs will do anything yet.

Yeah, it's been a while for us. I actually got referred to the Gyno early for fertility issues. My family Dr here told me that they don't usually send people until they have been TTC for 2 years. I have very irregular periods and she didn't think I was ov'ing. So away I went... but the Gyno I saw seemed sorta... uncaring. So I will go to her for the results, and then if I still don't feel comfortable with her I will switch Gynos.

Do you have any issues regarding your baby bits? Maybe that might help getting you to see someone quicker. Not that it would be a good thing. Or maybe like Jacinda said... maybe let them think you have been TTC for a year? :haha:

To be honest I dont, I have regular cycles every month, im between a 28/30 day cycle. I was on the pill for 9 years prior and im also overweight so guna shed some pounds first before I go the docs see if it makes a difference.

Lea I'm in the UK, been TTC 9 mths, we go for the SA results a week today. I was told for a man there's no time limit but for me it would be 16months! x

That's good news! Even if its only to see how your OH does.

my DH got a sperm count at 11 months and at 12 I got a referral to a clinic myself. Am waiting for them to call for the appointment...good luck! My sister and her DH went for a prenatal check up and said that he was worried about his as not a lot ever comes out, they decided to test him right away and it turns out that he have 0% sperm count. also one testie was smaller then the other so maybe you can say you have concerns or something but to be honest, I waited til 11 months and ya it was hard but my DH came out ok, so now were thinking its me..oh well...good luck with everythng and I hope that you get the BFP soon!

^^ I would cry if DF had 0% sperm count. Did they get it fixed?

there is nothing to fix as there is nothing there so they are going for a donor.

as for me, DH is above average so now we have to wait to see if its me

You COULD have it done, but more than likely you'd have to pay for it out of your own pocket and it would not be covered by insurance.

To be honest I dont, I have regular cycles every month, im between a 28/30 day cycle. I was on the pill for 9 years prior and im also overweight so guna shed some pounds first before I go the docs see if it makes a difference.

Oh I recommend the Dukan diet then. It's fantastic. Buy the book.

Hi Lea05,

My dh and I go to different GPs- we've been ttc for 7 months now. My GP has on record when I came off contraception and has told me it's 2 years in my area before they'll refer me for any tests. Dh's GP is none the wiser so he went and said we'd been trying for a year and has just handed his 'sample' in last week. I figure a little white lie can't hurt and gives us something new to focus on this month!! Good luck xx

Before me and my O/H started TTC, he went to the GP and got a sperm count, as he had had some trauma to them through out the years. He just said that we had been trying for a while and wanted to know, and they did it. Happens to be that he is normal. He was ecstatic as he was convinced that it would be low to none. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->