She ate a carrot - blw questions again...

P

petal040

We were at a family meal yesterday, and my LO took a cooked carrot from her grandma's plate while she was holding her, put it in her mouth, and swallowed it. This morning, there were three carrot bites in her nappy...

So... I am back to thinking about weaning again. Still confused about this!!

She can sit upright unaided, and balance, for as long as she wants, without her hands on the floor. She was waking in the night, then stopped, and now has a blocked nose so is waking again but because of that. She has been able to reach for objects, move towards them and drag them towards herself for a long time (for about two months?) So I guess she has those skills...

But... she hasn't got pincer grip. She also hasn't doubled her birth weight (she was born weighing 8lb 12oz).

She has been dropping centiles recently (she's dropped about 70 in around a month or so I think? I don't really understand them)... not sure how relevant that really is but it led the HV to say I should start weaning about three weeks ago :shrug:

She was born 15 days over her due date (again, not sure how relevant that is).

I know some people on here started blw before 6 months... could I safely start at 5? I'm guessing if she's not ready she won't eat? Would blw be safer than purees? (I don't wanna do purees really at the moment...)

If I did start early, what can/can't she eat? Can she only have fruit and veg? I noticed the stage one purees have chicken, cheese and other dairy in - so can she have these things? Can she have toast and things or is it no wheat till 6 months? If I made a stew with beef in it - could she have the veg out of there or not cos it's been in with meat?

Sorry for all the questions! (Confused!!) :wacko::wacko:

Surely if there was bits of carrot then this is a sign her body didn't digest it though - so that would mean she isn't ready?
I started Izzy just after 4 mths and she never had any bits on her nappy, although it was a colour similar to what she ate.

Ah... good point... did you do baby led weaning or purees? Cos obviously with purees you wouldn't have any bits (I assume?)...

For those doing blw - if you get bits in the nappy - is LO not ready? What do you do in that case - hang on a couple of weeks or so then try again?

Dylan still gets bits of carrot in his nappy now, so I don't think that is a sign she is not ready. I'm sure there are others on here who can give you proper advice though, we started on purree.

morgan gets carrots in his !! hes been weaned since 4,5mth and loves everything ! he has mash/cabbage/brocili/carrots ........ allsorts that go in the blender and he loves it !!
i dont even think we disgest carrots properley !!
u can start her on the jars 4-6mth old ones a brekkie and dinner, or make ur own x

Ah... good point... did you do baby led weaning or purees? Cos obviously with purees you wouldn't have any bits (I assume?)...

For those doing blw - if you get bits in the nappy - is LO not ready? What do you do in that case - hang on a couple of weeks or so then try again?

I didn't stick to any method particularly, but at the start she had banana, stewed apple etc that wasn't blended and didn't come out the other end..other than the colour.
Other ladies have said their LO's still have carrot come out whole - odd but maybe normal - maybe its a carrot thing lol?

As for what to start with - I know they have meat in jars from 4mth, personally I stayed on fruit veg, porridge etc til 6 months, she had dairy from about 5 months. I think this is up to you really.

Thanks - if possible I'd like to do 'pure'ish baby led weaning and so avoid purees or mashed up food (unless it comes mashed normally - like mashed potato).

Maybe it is a carrot thing lol... I dunno? I can't think of anything that is quite like carrot now... but I'm sure there are other foods that are a similar consistency and texture? My mind has gone blank... :shrug:

I would stick to fruit and veg until 6months ...dont drop her milk just leave food on highchair and if she eats it then bonus ..Lily had carrots and brocoli in whole chunks from 5months although we did use some purees from 17wks due to health advice we tend to let most things just go on her highchair and see what she eats ..to start with very little she is 7m now and eats everything feeds herself only thing shes not keen on is meat but thats because its new to her at the moment x

Have you read the BLW book? It does say that having food chunks in nappy is normal, and people who puree just probably don't notice that.
My LO had carrots today...I'll keep an eye out for you!

Thanks! I have the book and read it but in my sleep deprived state didn't notice the bit about nappies - I've leant it to LO's future childminder but will probably need to look at it again before we start.

Serina I think I will start putting veggies on her tray when she is 5 months then - and I won't drop milk feeds (I have no idea how many she has per day or when she will want them anyway so wouldn't know how to drop any hahaha - ?).

I did reply in the BLW thread too but bits in the nappy don't at all mean that she's not ready, it just means that she didn't chew that bit particularly well. About a month ago we had baby carrots in a meal and I found an entire baby carrot in Aisling's nappy the next day. She was nearly 9 months old then and had been eating for months so no problem with her being ready, she just hadn't bothered chewing enough! :lol:

I think if you're starting before 6 months then just stick to steamed/roast veg, fruit, easy stuff. I did read somewhere though that to start weaning, the recommended time is 6 months from baby's due date which means your LO would be ready pretty soon anyway! :D

I once found a glittery twig in LO's nappy, after we had visited the garden centre to get Christmas decorations... weird... :haha:

jesse gets bits in his poos, i dont think its do with cant digest, how do we know we dont get bits lol, he just dont look that closely at our poos :p

jesse gets bits in his poos, i dont think its do with cant digest, how do we know we dont get bits lol, he just dont look that closely at our poos :p

true - apparently sweetcorn doesnt digest - I haven't been brave/gross enough enough to ever check though :wacko:

true - apparently sweetcorn doesnt digest - I haven't been brave/gross enough enough to ever check though :wacko:

I made Aisling some sweetcorn cakes and I can confirm they absolutely do not digest and come out for days! :sick:

I made Aisling some sweetcorn cakes and I can confirm they absolutely do not digest and come out for days! :sick:

:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->