Shehata any advice??

lisacn

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just had my 2nd miscarriage in 5 months i'm totally devestated. I now have an appointment to see Shehata. I was just wondering if anyone had seen him and also if you waited to start on the prednisolone before you TTC and if so how long before or if some of you started after you had conceived. I've just ovulated and DTD but now wonder if I should have waited until I had seen Shehata?? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

I don't think any doctor would prescribe prednisolone without carrying out some tests on you first. You would need tests done and the results before they prescribe any treatment.

Why do u think u need prednisolone?

I would wait to ttc until your test results are back

well I've had 2 mcs in 5 months, I've already had lots of blood tests so I should get the results on the 28th hopefully, at this stage i'm prepared to try anything to have a baby and if prednisolone can help than i'd be silly not to try

I really think it depends on the results of your blood tests

For instance, if you have a blood clotting disorder then Dr Shehata is not likely to presribe you prednisolone, i would have thought you would get prescribed heparin and aspirin. Dont quote me on this as i may be totally wrong but i have done a lot of reading and struggle to remember everything

I think some doctors prescribe prednisolone when you get a BFP but others may prescribe it from ovulation.

Is there something you have read that makes you think you will get prescribed prednisalone?

I'm no expert in this field and i know a few of the ladies on here are under Dr Shehata so they will hopefully come along and advise you better than me.

I am slowly understanding everything myself having had 3 miscarriages, i went to see Prof Quenby last week and she is quite adamant that its my underactive thyroid that was the reason i missed carried 3 times. She wouldn't undetake the NK Cell test as she firmly believes my thyroid was the issue and i have to wait ttc until my thyroid is at the right level

Have you had your thyroid tested as part of your bloods already taken?

i've had my thyroid tested in the past, i'm not sure what all the blood tests were as they took about 11 viles but I would imagine that thyroid is in there. On Shehatas website it says that treatment for preconception is

baby aspirin
Vitamin D
Pregnacare or similar
prednisolone

when pregnant they add
heparin
progesterone

Some wonen have said that they were prescribed these even though their tests did not come back positive for things like NK cells etc. I'm hoping he will cover all bases as I don't want to have to go through another mc.

Oh right i understand why you are questioning prednisolone now. I've had a quick look on his website but couldn't find where it says that. what section is it under?

I think some docs offer empirical treatment if they can't find a reason for the miscarriages

I personally wouldn't want to take steroids unless there was something wrong with me and i needed them. I am desperate for a little one, especially after 3 mmc, but i don't like putting things into my system unless i really have too. I read the side effects of prednisolone and was secretly hoping that i wouldn't have to end up taking them. Hopefully Prof Quenby is right for me and it is just my thyroid

All the best thou hun, everyone is different in how they feel about treatments and i wish you the best of luck in getting your sticky bean
xx

ive taken steroids for an autoimmume disease...i wouldnt wish them on anyone! I have seen prof quenby and been tested for NK cells....i now know I need pred in pregnancy. I will begin it as soon as iget a BFP and not before. The trouble with steroids is that they can mess up cycles and effect the uterine lining (made mine really thin) i wouldnt rush to take them as a precaution. id want to be diagnosed as needing them, rather than just take them for good measure. They do have side effects.....that come on pretty fast (i was a size 10 and 7 weeks later i was a size 14)

it was under treatments on his web page but I was given a code so maybe you need that to look at it.
I've been on another website where the women have spoken highly of the treatment. I've been on steroids before and like many things it doesn't have the best side affects, i'm certainly not worried about getting fat as having a baby matters more to me

I'm totally with you on that one Beachlover :thumbup:

I wouldn't want to put anything in my body as a precaution, especially steroids, i may consider heparin but steroids are a no no for me, nasty stuff

I've got fat enough with an underactive thyroid without adding steroids into my system, lol

I think you should be diagnosed as having something really if you were to put steroids into your system

I have read good and bad things about Dr Shehata, i dont think doctors should just give you stuff to try as a 'maybe' this will help especially if what they give you have side effects like steroids

I fully appreciate you want a baby, as many of us do that have had recurrent miscarriages but there has to be a reason why we are miscarrying

Fingers crossed they find a reason for you

xx

well I'll have to see what what they say when I go, but a few months and to complete my dream i'll put up with steroids and a fat backside, anything has to be better than going through another misarriage. Shehata is a clinical lead so he must have some idea about the treatment he presribes. The fact is that they don't always find a reason why you misarry.
Are you not conerned that Dr Quenby didn't test you for NK cells. It would be quite easy for her just to rule it out.

No i am not concerned, she could have easily taken £260.00 off me and tested me for it as that was why i was there, ready and willing to pay for it.

She said my tsh level was really really bad, that bad that i don't qualify to go on her trial that she has just started

Her recent research is thyroid function relation to recurrent miscarriages and she seemed pretty certain my thyroid has got a lot to do with it

She did blood tests for blood clotting disorder and a few other things, doubled my thyroid medication and told me not to ttc until my tsh is 2.5, its 9.7 at minute

I trust her opinion, obviously if i get my thyroid level down and miscarry again then i will be back for the nk cell test. fingers crossed i won't have to go back

ok are you seeing her privately then??? They Shehata tests you pretty much for everything when you go, well thanks to EAPU i've already had the tests so he should have the results when I see him

The NK cell test is £260.00, she offered to do the other standards tests that recurrent miscarriage clinic do at no extra cost. the only tests i haven't done is the genetic and progesterone test i think

My appt with recurrent miscarriage clinic is not till mid december and they told me results take 10 weeks whereas i could see Prof Q as soon as i ovulated and her results come back in 6 weeks so i went to see her to gain time really and cover all angles. i didn't want my tests to come back as nothing wrong and then go for the nk cells test. fingers crossed it is my thryroid

She treated me as an NHS patient appt in the end and didn't charge me for the visit

I am still keeping my appt with recurrent clinic, she has told me which consultant i must request to see as its someone she knows

When do you see Shehata?

well for some reason I now have two appts, the first is the 28th of this month. Its just the waiting really, as I'm ovulating now and would like to try

you might be ok to try, you would only be 3 weeks pregnant when you get the results

personally for me, i would wait. i am really impatient and want answers now, hence why i went to see Prof Q as i gained 6 weeks time. i should get my results from Prof Q just before my appt with recurrent mc clinic instead of waiting for my results till mid feb from the nhs

NK cell test is something people opt for when their blood results come back as normal and they start testing for other stuff that is not standard with the nhs but i wasn't going to wait for that to happen

You are lucky they have seen you and done tests after 2 miscarriages, you normally have to wait till you have had 3

xx

I had my first many many years ago so had 3 in total, but I have to say the nhs at st helier have been excellent with my care, especially the the Epau dept and my Gp has been great, EPAU organsied the initial blood tests so at least shehata will have something to start with. I'm hoping it not NK cells or anything to do with the chromosomes but only time will tell. I wan't expecting to ovulate this early on as it took weeks last time so didn't think about it when we DTD this morning. I tested afterwards. So we'll have to see what happens. I'd prefer to wait and see but if it happens then so be it

Least you have a good doctor, mine are completely rubbish. My doc told me after the 2nd miscarraige there was nothing that could be done and to just keep trying. his wife had had 4 miscarriages and they can't do tests as the miscarriages were under 12 weeks. i now know that to be utter rubbish

i ovulated on day 25 following my last miscarriage

all the best anyway and i hope you get to the bottom of it

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583