She's behind at school!

hellohefalump

Reaction score
I feel bad. Madeleine's teacher took me aside at school today to say she's falling behind with her reading and writing, ie: she can't read at all and she can only write her name. We're going to have a proper chat tomorrow about it.

I feel bad because we could be doing more at home, it's just she's so tired and often she refuses to do school stuff at home because she says it makes her head hurt!

Im also worried she might be dyslexic or have other special needs or something that's going to make the rest of her life difficult.

She had a hearing test done the other day and scored low, they're going to do it again in march. If her hearing is bad, I wouldn't be suprised because it runs in my family, and it would explain why she only learnt to talk when she was three, and she's still a little bit behind with her talking.

This is all new to me because at school I was an annoying overachiever and I found everything so easy, whereas Madeleine's finding things hard.

Oh bless her :( She must be a young one in the year though, right? Remember that other children will have been older than your LO when they started school. She might just have a spurt later on. My childminder's daughter was always 'behind' in reception and year 1. Then in year 2 shot to the head of the class!

Im a teacher and they all go at different rates, some are racing ahead and then come to a stand still while then ones who were behind zip ahead. Maybe go to library and pick some books she would enjoy rather than school books which can be booring or buy her a magazine, any reading is good, maybe you could get her to write shopping list or something like that or a letter to family members that you can post. I will say I was a reception teacher and I had a child who could only just write name and couldent read just sound out some letters and then suddenly took off dont worry to much. If she is dyslexic it isnt end of world, I am dyslexic and struggled at primary and at school, I worked hard and I know have a degree in history and human rights, an early years proffesional status at post grad level and a primary teaching qualiforcation so it doesent have to hold you back.

your daughter is very young. Just keep reading to her and getting her to practice her alphabet and sounds of the letters. She will catch up. :hugs:

Had the meeting with her teacher, she said Madeleine is behind and we've just got to encourage her. Also she said they don't tend to worry until the end of yr 1.

It's really hard i think with school and children, especially when some kids seem to rush ahead.

Glad you spoke to lo's teacher. I definitely agree that just giving encouragement is the key. Our eldest started school in Sept 2 and is pretty much one of the youngest. We found that getting him to read of anything as soon as he got in from school was the worst thing to do. I would suggest that you work out a time when Madi is at her best and do things then - if she's tired she just won't want to know. And to be honest, even if you only read her books with her on a sat and sun because she's not too tired then, that is better then never at all.

One thing you could try, if she is too tired to do "school stuff"..is to incorporate learning into everyday activities...eg..if you walk to school, try reading simple signs together, try to get her to help with shopping lists,..do it within the context of an exciting activity.

Everyone learns differently, and whilst some children are more receptive to conventional learning, others need a more creative approach. x

I found something she will do!!!

Writing her name in different coloured pens!

She is jus 4 years old, no one should be forced to learn it that early. Kids only go to school at 6 years old and it doesn't harm them(in switzerland only at 7) theres reasons for that too here, many aren't ready just at 4-5 years of age..

Should a 4 year old know how to read ?? If so then my 4 year old is well behind, he wouldnt have a clue if you handed him a book and told him to "read" it, yeah he would look at the pics and make up his own story but that would be it. The only word he can read is his name. I wouldnt worry to much about it hun xx

Agree with all the others. Don't panic yet. Do get her hearing test sorted and maybe an eye test too? I always advise people to do these as it is amazing how often there is a wee problem with one of these areas. x

Should a 4 year old know how to read ?? If so then my 4 year old is well behind, he wouldnt have a clue if you handed him a book and told him to "read" it, yeah he would look at the pics and make up his own story but that would be it. The only word he can read is his name. I wouldnt worry to much about it hun xx

I agree with this. My daughter goes to preschool and can read/write her name and write/read all the letters of the alphabet but would be lost if she was told to read something whether it be a sign, an assignment or a book. Your daughter seems to be starting relatively early with all that stuff and just might take a while to get to where the older kids are. I wouldn't worry just keep up the encouragement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->