Short luteal phase and testing? Symptom spotting - help!

Lucy2469

NTNP #1 :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies!

Well I've been joining in here and there on the forum for the last 2 months as I came off BCP and started NTNP. BnB has been a lifesaver for me as I've learned a lot and discovered I'm not alone in trying to figure all this stuff out!

I'm a bit confused about something and I'm hoping you can help :)

Quick history of my NTNP so far: Came off the pill and 1st cycle off it had a 22 day cycle which was very reminiscent of what my periods were like before I went on the pill - 21 or 22 days. This is now my second cycle after the pill and I'm on CD23. AF is not here yet and she has always come in the night (!) so I was expecting her by now.

Based on CM and ovulation pains, I'm almost certain I ov'd on CD13. I felt slight cramps for a few hours on CD 17 and wondered if it was implantation cramps, but I don't know much about those.

Call it wishful thinking but the last few days I've been wondering about my symptoms, or lack of:
- No breast tenderness/enlargement at all: I usually have this for days before AF (always have - before, during and after I was on the pill)
- CM in my pants (sorry TMI!) every day since Ov, though normally I'm bone dry from a few days after until AF
- For about 48 hours, just finishing now, I had the most horrendously sensitive and painful nipples. Have never experienced this before.
- I've been tired and having mood swings this week, which is similar to my usual AF experience
- The last few days I've been a bit dizzy and feeling unwell at times, and have had 1 or 2 brief periods of heartburn - all unusual for me

Basically I'm symptom spotting like mad but I'm pretty new to all this so don't know if I'm just being silly. I did a FRER last night (so CD22) and got a BFN.

Because of my short luteal phase (9 days last cycle) I'm currently only 10 days past ovulation. I'm wondering if it's possible that I could be pregant and it's not showing as a BFP because that's early compared to people with a luteal phase of 14 days or more? Or are us women with short luteal phases supposed to be able to test around the first day of a missed period anyway?

I feel like I'm clutching at straws here but I'd be grateful for any info you guys can give me!! Hubby has been so lovely and supportive, but doesn't know all the ins and outs of all this cycle stuff.

Sorry for rambling...!

I'm sure others will have more advice but I looked up the earliest time to test once and basically it said long the lines of you have sex, then the egg is released so once OV takes place it should be around 24/48 hours till conception, then it can take 5 days to implant then it has to build up enough hcg to be detectable. So, if you OV on day 13 say and it takes up to 48 hours to conceive then that takes you to cd15. 5 days to implant - CD 20. Given that the average hcg is of 48 mIU/ml at 14 days post OV/LH surge and it doubles every 72 hours or so. I would say that day 21 is far too early to test even with a sensitive test.

My friend who worked in a fertility clinic said that the earliest they tested (using blood so more accurate) was day 8 post ov but usually there was no point until day 11 as it was not an good indicator until after day 11 post OV. I hope this helps

I'm sure others will have more advice but I looked up the earliest time to test once and basically it said long the lines of you have sex, then the egg is released so once OV takes place it should be around 24/48 hours till conception, then it can take 5 days to implant then it has to build up enough hcg to be detectable. So, if you OV on day 13 say and it takes up to 48 hours to conceive then that takes you to cd15. 5 days to implant - CD 20. Given that the average hcg is of 48 mIU/ml at 14 days post OV/LH surge and it doubles every 72 hours or so. I would say that day 21 is far too early to test even with a sensitive test.

My friend who worked in a fertility clinic said that the earliest they tested (using blood so more accurate) was day 8 post ov but usually there was no point until day 11 as it was not an good indicator until after day 11 post OV. I hope this helps

Thank you so much for the info and feedback, that's so helpful! I think i got a bit carried away reading about everyone testing on the first day of their missed period, and then realised that my luteal phase is rather on the short side...

No sign of AF today so we'll see what the next week brings :)

Any sign of AF yet?? FX'd for good news for you!

xxx

Any sign of AF yet?? FX'd for good news for you!

xxx

Thanks lovely! Have had slight cramps/ weird sensations and a tiny bit of spotting for a few days but no sign of AF. Feel a bit sick and spaced out...no idea what's going on!! Now 4 days late, might test again later.

Could be implantation bleeding? Really hope you get your BFP but I know some ladies have had some very funny cycle after coming off BCP so FX'd for you :) Keep us all updated if you do test again later :)

xxx

Oooo good luck, I hope it's a BFP and not silly post pill periods xx

Thanks everyone! Just wish I knew one way or the other, you know? It's hard to remind myself it's still early days. Another :bfn: tonight...hubby and I have agreed to test every 48 hours few more times and go from there. Really don't want my cycles to be messed up but I know it's likely! Found Twin packs of First Response on 2 for 1 in Boots earlier so I've got 3 tests left :D

BOGOF FRER's?!? Know where I'm going at the weekend!! Was that Boots in Berko?

FX'd things sort themselves out for you one way or another really soon :hugs:

xxx

BOGOF FRER's?!? Know where I'm going at the weekend!! Was that Boots in Berko?

FX'd things sort themselves out for you one way or another really soon :hugs:

xxx

Heh, yeah, Berko Boots! Worked out at £10 ish for 4 tests so not too bad :)

Thanks for the FX'd...I just wanna know! Hubby even did some research of his own online yesterday to learn more about all this, bless him.

Awesome, definitely popping in there at the weekend then! Bargain :)

Awww that's really sweet of your hubby :) Is he excited that you might get your BFP?

xx

Aaargh, i've been consistently spotting since Saturday now and today it seems a bit heavier, but still nowhere being like AF. Think the witch might be on her way but it's still not clear :(

Carreg, just saw your reply... Hubby is v excited at the prospect but trying to be pragmatic that I've had a lot of BFNs. We both know deep down that this is most likely just problems from coming off BCP but it's hard not to be hopeful!

Oh no re spotting :( But, I suppose, at least it it turns into AF then you will know for sure. Still disappointing though. I know how hard it is not to get your hopes up. It's nice that your hubby is as excited as you though :)

xxx

Ugh, haven't been on the forum much for a few days as symptom spotting was driving me nuts! So much for taking it easy!!

Sadly AF got me today so I'm out! Bit disappointed but relieved that something has happened. Don't know what to expect next month as so far off the pill my cycles have been 22 days and then 29 days, but we'll see. Think I'm going to wait a LOT longer to test next time! Thanks for all the support, ladies xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->