Short women and giving birth

seabump

Reaction score
I'm only 4'11" tall and everyone keeps tell me I won't be able to have a vaginal birth. I was hoping to have not only a vaginal birth but also a natural birth. I'm really confused. Does anyone else have experience being short and giving birth without having to get a C-section?

I do not think size always has so much to do with it. I'm 5'3" and very small petite frame (weighing anywhere from 100-110 lbs at beginning of each pregnancy). I have never had a c-section and haven't had any trouble delivering vaginally. In fact, my pushing stage went very quickly. Don't listen to other people, you'll be great!

I'm 5'2 and gave birth vaginally and my doctor has never mentioned anything about being short leading to a csection?

I am 4'11 and had 3 natural births!

How annoying for people to say that to you! It's totally not true. OH has an aunt who is barely 5 ft who gave birth vaginally 6 times!

My mum and grandma are 5' and had 2 kids each.

I am 4'10" and ended up with sections but not due to my height at all. The first was due to interventions and the second was a planned one.

My mom was 4'11 had two natural vaginal. My sister is 5'0 had a vaginal and I am 5'2 and had a vaginal... You'll be fine!

Thats funny.. my grandma is 4'10 and she had 9 kids and normal delivery

What a load of ......! Dont listen to those comments, just no need for them.

It's a very old fashioned belief that shorter women can't give birth naturally, my mum is 5ft1 and she was told back in the 1980s she would have to have a c section, I'm not sure what happened to change their minds but in the end she gave birth naturally to us both, very quick straight forward labours.

My Mum, maternal grandmother and paternal grandmother are all 5 ft, between them they had sixteen babies and all bar one were vaginal births (that was me and because of my position, but she managed a vbac after me).

I am 5'1" and have given birth naturally. :D It's very possible!

I'm a 5ft tall size 8 with a congenital heart defect and, if they'l let me, I'm going to attempt a vaginal birth.

Im 5ft and had 3 easy labours and my 3rd baby was 7.5lb so not that small x

Don't listen to stupid people! I come from a family of short women (I am the tallest at 5ft 2 :smug:) and between us we have had plenty of vaginal deliveries and only 2 c-sections (1 being my mum with her 4th and the other being my aunt with her 2nd, after which she had another vaginal delivery). Our babies have ranged in weight from 7ish to 11ish lbs and none of us have been told to have a c-section because we're too short or our babies are too big for us.

I'm 4'11 ( disappointedly SHRUNK 1"!!!!) and rushed in for section with DD while I was 7 or 8cm dilated because she couldn't fit through my pelvis. They never told me during labour that I couldn't give birth naturally. It wasn't until they examined me and brought in the consent papers that it was impossible for me to go naturally at that point. It wasted me 43 hours of pain and stress. I'm wishing to go for a VBAC this time round because I feel I failed but the chances are extremely slim.

I wouldn't put it down to height, it's your bone structure.

5'3 and I pushed DD out in 15 minutes WITH an epidural. Really straight forward birth :)

Don't worry at all, and don't listen to any horror stories from now on, people will try and tell you all sorts! I am 5'2 and had a natural vaginal birth, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->