Shorter feeds without nipple shields?

laodicean

Reaction score
Hi, quick question to any Mums that have successfully weaned their LO off nipple shields.

LO and I have been nipple shield dependant from about week 2. Long story short, LO surprised me a few days ago by finally latching straight off without a shield so we've put them away and hopefully won't need them again (until the next baby anyway!)

What I have noticed though is that his feeding times have halved. He used to feed 15-25 minutes on one boob, and then 10 minutes on the other. Now he's managing 8-10 minutes on the first boob, and usually less than 5 on the second. Is this normal? Is he just more efficient at draining the breast without the shield in the way?

Nappies are still wet, etc, etc, so I think he's getting enough.

I managed do get my baby of the shields at around 4 months and found that the feeds went from about 20 mins to about 8-10 mins.

Thanks! I assumed it was normal, but having got so used to a feed being a half hour effort each time, I'm kind of blown away by the idea that it can be done and dusted in under 15 minutes.

Man, I can't wait to wean then. I am feeding constantly for long stretches

Man, I can't wait to wean then. I am feeding constantly for long stretches

Hah! If I'd known about this benefit I'd have probably been a lot more forward over the past couple of months in encouraging him off them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->