Should cosmetic surgery be banned?

C

cherryglitter

I am not talking about cleft lip procedures or anything like that, as to me that's a legitimate reason to have surgery.

I am talking about massive blown up boobs to a stupid extent or huge lips!

What's your view?

I don't think it should be banned but I do not agree with it. I wish parents, social institutions and governments should make it high on their agenda to emphasize the value of inner beauty and enlighten people on how to truly love themselves, but self-love has to be arrived at willingly and banning surgery wouldnt solve the main issue. I do think that airbrushing should be banned tho and unhealthy images banned from mass media.

I don't see what a ban would accomplish, in all honesty. If people want to augment their bodies, that's really their own business. It does not affect me or my loved ones on any level. I agree with Lightworker that things like inner beauty should be promoted; Also, there should be ample amounts of counseling for individuals who want cosmetic surgery done. Additionally, for some women, they honestly look at things like breast augmentation as an extremely empowering experience (a fictional example of this would be Lizbeth Salander's character in The Girl Who Played with Fire in Stieg Larrson's Millenium Trilogy). So I think you would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to make it all illegal, if that makes sense??

No. I think cosmetic surgery can be a wonderful thing for people who are really unhappy with how they look (like someone who has lost a lot of weight and needs a tummy tuck or a girl who needs a breast reduction or enlargement). It only becomes a problem when people try and fix things that don't need fixing and thats when surgeons need to step in and be more morally responsible. Unfortunately, when money is involved its hard to say no to the 3rd boob job :(

I dont think it should be banned but I think it should have to be ok'd by 2 doctors after counciling

Each to their own. Some people do find having a procedure incredibly empowering, but there are issues with the way things are portrayed in the media.

I agree with Lightworker really. Particularly on the airbrushing. It's ludicrously unrealistic and rotten messages of so-called 'beauty' being shoved down the throats of us all everywhere that needs to be outlawed; the problem is not the availability of cosmetic surgery - it's a society rotten to the core with 'ideals' founded on nothing but shallow images of 'perfection'.

I know this vid is actually marketing in itself but it conveys a basic message about the processes that go into these images that young girls aspire to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XF66Ku4a9U

:flower:

Absolutely not! I had a breast augmentation a little over a year ago and I couldn't be happier :)

Though I agree it would be ideal for someone to seek counseling before making such a big decision.

No. Why should we decide what people are allowed to do with their bodies. The world is a big place, if you dont like what someone has done to their body look the other way. I dont really like women who look fake but thats their choice. If they think they look lovely and they like it then thats down to them. We shouldnt change their choices because they dont agree with ours.

And for the Dove video. Good on them, they are the only ones who are willing to show women of all different shapes, colour and looks.

^^ Yeah I think young lasses should be shown videos like that, it's easy to forget that they don't just automatically know that these images are completely fake. I remember when that one got posted by one of my facebook friends, and one of the comments came up that it'd been shown to a group of young teenagers and they were actually saying the woman was 'a dog' at the beginning :shock: :saywhat: That's what we have to contend with- these attitudes are directly from the very distortion that society has put on 'beauty'

xx

No it should not be banned.

I work on harley street, so i see some AWFUL examples of it walking around, but those people chose to modify their bodies that way, to that extent. It is their body.

You could say - ban tattoos, they are ugly. UGLY TO SOME. Same goes for surgery. Some people might LOVE 30GG boobs, i would hate them, others would love to be stick thin (if i could afford liposuction on my entire body i would!) but others would think its ugly.

Piercings, same issue.

their body = their choice. x

I dont think it should be banned but i do find it very sad when people feel the need to alter their appearance continuously , it turns into a addiction, like you see with some celebrities :( Spaces in hospitals for people that really need help would be good too x

No i dont think it should be banned. Like lightworker said I think airbrushing should be though thats whats really distorting peoples (especially young girls) view of beauty. Its impossible to look that perfect.

<3

I don't think it should be banned, however I think it would be better if people who wanted cosmetic surgery were given a bit of counselling or something before they were operated on, I think people who have more and more ops need to be carefully monitored too.

Of course not, who are we to say what grown adults can and cannot do with their own bodies and money

At what point do you draw the line with "cosmetic"?? Manicures, Hair Extensions, tanning etc etc are all cosmetic and not good for your hair/nails/skin, would we ban those too?

At what point do you draw the line with "cosmetic"?? Manicures, Hair Extensions, tanning etc etc are all cosmetic and not good for your hair/nails/skin, would we ban those too?

Well none of those things involve surgery so i dont think thats whats being discussed here :)

Just to add - I don't think it should be banned. But in some cases I think it just goes a bit too far. For example, when a persons health is put in jeopardy.

Was it Pete Burns' lips that burst when he was a on a plane or something? Or am I thinking of someone else?!

Well none of those things involve surgery so i dont think thats whats being discussed here :)

Thats not the point, the point was in restricting someones free choice, at what point do you draw the line at the word "cosmetic"??

Physical surgery only? And if so why?

Also, i think a ban on cosmetic procedure would only end up with women going off abroad to dodgy clinics and end up dead!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->