Should Hubby Go With Me to My First Prenatal Appointment?

Mild Mango

Reaction score
So I made my first prenatal appointment for Wednesday. I'll be 6 weeks and 6 days by that time.

I'm trying to decide whether to bring the hubby or not. When I made the appointment, I asked the receptionist what they'd be doing at this appointment. She told me that I would be meeting with a midwife (the place I'm going has both midwives and OBGYNs), and they would be doing a pelvic exam and blood tests. That's all she told me.

I'm wondering if there's any reason my husband should go. I don't want him to miss any interesting visits, like any sonograms or listening to the heartbeat, or anything like that, so if there's a chance of that happening, I want him to come with me. But I don't want him to take off work just to sit in the waiting room. My husband doesn't seem to care too much either way. He's leaving it up to me.

I tried to Google it, but most resources online assume I would be getting my first prenatal visit at 8-12 weeks. I'm sure there's a lot less to see/hear at 6 weeks +6.

So I'm wondering, did your partners go with you to the first visit? If so, did he wait in the waiting room most of the time? What do they typically do?

with my last pregnancy my partner did not come with me to the first MW appointment, Here in the UK they don't tend to do anything like listen to the HB or scans or anything like that so my hubby just went to work as normal. Its entirely up to you though but I don't think he will be missing a great deal xx

My husband came to first ever MW appt (this is our 3rd baby) at 8w when it was the 'booking in' but only reason was because i wss fragile and needed his support from being so sick.

Im in uk dont do scans like that, HB is heard much later on.

my booking in was bloods urine and they take your fam history eg u your husband an your parents an siblings. 3rd preg and never had internal till was in labour. I had my booking 2 weeks ago at 7+weeks but i found out about 4+prev pregs an thing had apoint at 6-7weeks then. I had us at 8-9weeks with last 2 due too abdo pains all was fine. I bwlieve if your ivf etc you get early scans. Mw will make your scan appoint then which i got in post last week an happens bee when dead on 12weeks but i could also be 2weeks less so scan will confirm.all my first appoint i went on own my oh came all hosp ones as was under consultant last preg as wee disscus whts happeneng ie if induce early /when an iff id have go main hosp 2.5hrs away an listend bubbs heart etc also got extra scan at 24-26 weeks and 36 weeks. basicly first appoint is where u meet mw an they take your info and tell you your care plan etc. Am red pathway as i take meds and have high blood pressure. They will also tell you how often visit etc so if you no ohs info no need for him. My surgery apoint takes 1hr.

My husband didn't come to mine, he's only come to one and I felt bad I had him coming because it's so boring for him. My hospital doesn't allow the OH in the room when asking or talking about personal things. Even if I feel it's okay for him to be in the room they don't allow it. So most of the appointment he was outside in the waiting room.

At my booking in appointment, they took extensive notes and asked a long list of questions about both mine and my husbands health and our families health history - questions I wouldn't have been able to answer had he not been there.

My husband came to my first appointment. They did an ultrasound and we got to see the heartbeat so I'm glad he came. It's up to you if you want him to go though. Since you're only 6 weeks they might not do an US just yet and then it's mainly just talking and taking vitals.

I go in for my new OB appointment tomorrow morning and my DH is going. They said they will do an US so we can hear the heartbeat so I want him to be there. But even if they weren't I would still want him to go. I want him to meet my doctor and make sure he is comfortable with her as well. I know I am the pregnant one but this whole process is changing the lives of both of us and I want him to be as big a part of it as possible.

Mine has come with me to both of my appointments. :) I wouldn't want it any other way. It's both of our journey. And like you said, I don't want him to miss anything! :)

I had an ultrasound at my first visit with both my daughter and this one.

I had an ultrasound at the first one, so I was glad that he came and got to see that.

In my last pregnancy my husband came to my first app and he will this time to
I want him to feel involved and I think we should both be there.

Mine came to every appointment my first pregnancy, he hasnt been to any of mine this time, he usually keeps our 2 year old, he's going to the gender scans :) . But its totally up to you :)

I didn't have my boyfriend come for the first appointment but I realize I should have since she inquired about his family hx and she actually wanted him to get to some blood work done i.e r/o sickle cell since I am actually a carrier of the gene & cystic fibrosis.

But I asked him to come to the first ultrasound and he didn't after he said he would:growlmad::growlmad:! That made me upset. But I understand work is work.:blush:

Both of my first appointments were at 8 weeks and they said DH might like to come along as they'd be doing an ultrasound. It was also an opportunity for him to ask any questions he might have (which he did the first time, second time neither of us had any questions at all!). My OB also took the opportunity to counsel him on how to be a helpful husband during pregnancy - tee hee.

Perhaps you can call and ask if this is going to be part of the appointment? It would be a shame for him to miss out.

My husband came with me on my first appt at 8 weeks. I'm so glad he did because they did and ultrasound and we go to see baby and hear the heart. The heartbeat is what made this pregnancy seem so real for him

Hubby didn't come to my first appointment. It's all the boring stuff. And they won't probably check for a heart beat this soon. I don't even think you'd hear it anyways. He won't be missing anything exciting.

They're going to do blood, blood pressure, urine test, and ask about your and your husbands health. He doesn't HAVE to be there for that if you have a general idea of his background.

Then again every doctors is different and they might do heart beat and ultra sound, though I'm sure the nurse would have said something.

Call again and ask exactly what will be going on.

Then again, also, there's nothing wrong with him coming ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->