Should I ask my midwife for an earlier home visit for my assessment?

M

mrssat

Hi ladies,
I dont post that often, but just wanted your opinion on this. I am in the UK and planning a homebirth.
I have had a previous small baby so have had to be monitored with growth scans this time, but he is growing great so no reason I cant have a homebirth.
The consultant wrote this in my notes on tues after my last scan. The midwife asked them to do this just so it was all checked over.
So I am 34 and a half weeks now and see the midwife again when I am 36 weeks, she said we will book the home assessment at that appointment so we are probably looking at her coming out at around 37 weeks......
That just seems too late to me considering if I go into labour at 37 weeks onwards I will stay at home.
Anybody else had experience of this? I had a great midwife all the way through but she has moved on, this one doesn't seem as knowledgable about homebirths.
Might just give her a call to discuss....

My midwife originally said I'd have my home visit at 36 weeks but she's booked it earlier at 34 weeks. It might be worth a phone call to see if she can come at 36 weeks it does seem to be pushing it to me. Good luck x

my MW discussed my home birth with me at my 36 week appointment (i had mentioned it to her before and like you was having 4 weekly growth scans until 36 weeks under consultant care) at my 36 week appointment we booked in for her to come out later that week to do the home risk assessment as they like to have it done before 37 week (mine was only done 2 days before this date) as from 37 weeks you go on their oncall list so they will attend from that date onwards

so i think you will be ok leaving it until you next see her to book it all in good luck x

I had my home Birth booked at 36 weeks, and the Mw is dropping the Bag round on Monday so I will be 37 + 4 (I think!!) I am assuming this is normal, and if I go into labour this weekend then they will just bring the stuff they need with them

Thanks for your replies ladies, yeah I think I will be ok, might give her a call tomorrow to just make sure those time scales are ok.
Maybe she will book the home visit with me over the phone so I feel a bit more comfortable with the plans.
GL to you all with your births!

my midwife wont be coming till almost 38 weeks but she said its not the end of the world if she doesn't make it. my last babe went 2weeks over so we are not hurrying too much.

my MW discussed my home birth with me at my 36 week appointment (i had mentioned it to her before and like you was having 4 weekly growth scans until 36 weeks under consultant care) at my 36 week appointment we booked in for her to come out later that week to do the home risk assessment as they like to have it done before 37 week (mine was only done 2 days before this date) as from 37 weeks you go on their oncall list so they will attend from that date onwards

so i think you will be ok leaving it until you next see her to book it all in good luck x

Hi, what is the home risk assessment? that has not been mentioned to me.

I had the midwife 'home birth box of tricks' dropped off at 37 weeks and then they brought everything else with them when I went into labour.

The home assessment for us was basically the midwife asking if there was going to be enough room to move around me safely, advising us to cover over plug sockets near to where we were having the pool and making sure that we had adequate lighting if stitches were required. Really straight forward stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->