Should I be taking extra folic acid?

futuremama88

Reaction score
My baby is 6 weeks old and I have resumed sexual relations without birth control so I am NTNP. I continue to take my prenatal vitamins and I breastfeed exclusively. I am not trying to get pregnant but I'm not trying to prevent pregnancy, leaving it up to fate in other words. Should I be taking an extra folic acid supplement on top of what's in my prenatal vitamin just to make sure? Because my nursling may be getting some and I just want to make sure that a potential fetus would get enough as well (we've all read how important folic acid is in regards to preventing birth defects). How much should I be taking?

My baby is 6 weeks old and I have resumed sexual relations without birth control so I am NTNP. I continue to take my prenatal vitamins and I breastfeed exclusively. I am not trying to get pregnant but I'm not trying to prevent pregnancy, leaving it up to fate in other words. Should I be taking an extra folic acid supplement on top of what's in my prenatal vitamin just to make sure? Because my nursling may be getting some and I just want to make sure that a potential fetus would get enough as well (we've all read how important folic acid is in regards to preventing birth defects). How much should I be taking?

I wouldnt take more that the reccomended amount stated. Although im sure it wouldnt do any harm im sure just the one a day is still giving your body more than enough of the amount of nutrients and vitamins you needed. just ask your midwife she should know best x

I would check with your GP or midwife just to be sure, but it probably wouldn't hurt to take a little extra if levels in your prenatal aren't too high. Do you know how much is in the vitamin you take already? Up to 1000 mcg a day is safe and most prenatals have between 400-800 mcg. If you take more than that on a regular basis, it can start interfering with iron and B12 absorption. I'm not breastfeeding obviously, but I do top mine up a little extra a few times a week. My prenatal has 400 mcg, but I also have just a plain old folic acid tablet (also 400 mcg). I don't take the extra one every day since I probably also get a lot in my diet, but I do take it maybe 3-4 times a week, especially if I've not eaten much folic acid rich foods that day.

My prenatal vitamin has 1000 micrograms of folic acid, so I guess I shouldn't take any extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->