Should I be worried?

VanWest

1 baby, 4 step-kids
Reaction score
I'm starting to become worried about Noah and how he is developing mentally. First, he's 8 month's corrected, almost 11 months actual. The last month it just seems he hasn't progressed much. He can sit up, but only if you put him into the sitting position. He isn't crawling . He can roll everywhere, but no crawling. He smiles and babbles some, makes eye contact. I guess normally I would say its nothing but I'm not the only one who has noticed it. My Mom watches him when I work and has had the same concerns as of late. Do you all think I should be worried?:cry:

I can't really comment on premmies, but my friends little boy didn't crawl or anything untill 9 months.

hes was nearly 3 months late so i assume around 3 months late with development if not longer?? not to sure with preemie babys but thought that would be the case

I'd say it makes sense for a prem baby to pick up on thing sat a slightly slower pace however Caitlin first started crawling the middle of August so 8 half months and Caitlin definately only smiles and babbles the odd good word is come out now and shes just turned one mostly Da Dad and hiya!

There always seems to be a stop gap between progresses x

Yeah, I would say 3-4 months extra for many things, hun. Try not to worry. His corrected age is only 8mo as you said, and most babies dont start crawling until between 7 and 9 months. So give him another month or two, and you will be looking back like, "gosh, why did I want him to crawl!?" because he will be into everything!
Colton still isnt really "crawling" he more commando crawls, on his elbows and knees; with his belly dragging.

Hun as you know Joe was 12 weeks early and I had sleepless nights over this stuff :( Joe never sat up unaided until he was over 12 months ( I'll talk in terms of actual age) he started crawling at 13/14 months old, pulled himself to standing 15/16 months old and didnt start walking until he was 20 months.

By the age of 12 months he could say mama, dada, baba & ryry (this was his name for my eldest sons name) and that was it. He seen a speech therapist around 14 months (as he'd been on a waiting list) who watched him eating and could tell by the way he was eating that his speech looked ok, she actually was picking up little phrases from him that I didn't :lol: it sounded like gobbledegook to me!

So hun, take it from someone who has been there Noah is doing fine and there will be weeks where you think they haven't changed but then they can do 10 things in a week!

Joe has turned 3 now and can count, say & recognise the alphabet, some adding sums & some take away sums too, sing, run, climb and most importantly never stays quiet :lol:

Sometimes it can feel like an real uphill struggle and the first year is the worse but that special little man will surprise you :hugs:

you know where I am hun :hug:

dont worry hun, i think everything is moving at the speed it should. My daughter Katie was 10 weeks early and didn't sit up till 11 months, crawl till 13 months and didn't walk until 18 months. She wasn't much of a babbler either but then again neither is my 11 months old son now. And .... your son is 9 months and weighs 18lb's .... Matthew is 11 months and weighs 17!!! i think he's going to be fine :) try not to stress the little things :)

sounds like the right pace to me hun:D ciarans only started to sit up really gd and still not crawling lol and hes 8 months so there is still time :hugs:

and hey sum babies walk before they crawl my nephew did..sounds like he doing fine hun jus 3 months behined thats all xx

Sam was sitting and not much else at 8 months, and he wouldn't sit himself up. It was only somewhere between 8 and 9 months that we went from that to sitting himself up (from being on his front), crawling, standing, cruising around the furniture - it all happened so fast, and I'm sure it will be the same for Noah - he sounds pretty much the same as Sam for his corrected age. A friend of Sam's (just over 9 months) has only just started crawling in the last couple of weeks too, and isn't behind developmentally at all.

I think with him being born so early you probably watch for these things even more than most of us do, and it's normal to wonder if he is behind when a huge percentage of babies his corrected age are exactly the same.

Sounds like he's doing great :D

:hugs: x

Thanks everyone I know I can always count on you guys for advice. He saw his OT yesterday and she thinks a lot of his issues with behavior etc are his stomach, she watched him eat and suggested he have a swallowing test done. It all makes sense, he had a TON of gut issues in the NICU. She also said he is really stiff and we should try brushing (???) because he might have sensory issues, that this may be why he no longer sleeps through the night etc etc.

When will they do this test?

Good luck in advance x

I have to speak with the gastro doctor. Our insurance changes the first of the year to an HMO, so will be a bunch of hurtles to jump through(getting approved etc) I'm really hoping after he's a year old all this will die down, it's so stressful.

he's crawling before angelynn ;) she's 10 months adjusted and can only sit up by herself. I'm hoping she'll be closer to crawling by feb. all babies are different :hugs:

Its only a problem when he isnt crawling by 11 months.He still has 3 months to go.Dont worry.

https://www.babydevelopmentnews.com/whendobabystartcrawling.html

Mr friend's little girl was not prem, and is 11 months old and is not crawling yet. She sits up on her own, but only when she is put in that position, she does not sit up from lying on her own. But her Dad didn't walk until he was two so they all do things at different stages, I wouldn't worry too much, he will do it all when he is good and ready!

My friends little boy only ever bum shuffled and then proressed to walking.

Its only a problem when he isnt crawling by 11 months.He still has 3 months to go.Dont worry.

https://www.babydevelopmentnews.com/whendobabystartcrawling.html

Actually, some babies never crawl... my sisters first daughter never did, she went straight to walking... Alexa bum-shuffles her way around, or crawls backwards... As long as the doctor is impressed with progression, then all is good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confettiblue
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->