Should I call? Question about poo.

CassieSims

Reaction score
My doctor got mad when I didn't call to report that I thought I was leaking fluid (I had an appointment in the morning so thought it would be okay to wait). So now I just don't know what to call for or not!

My last few stools have been very black and mucusy, when I wipe I don't wipe poo, just a lot of grey mucus... Is this normal? Should I call? Thanks in advance!

Call immediately, if you are leaking fluid it could be a sign something's not right.
Black could indicate the baby is distressed, I'm not trying to scare you but please get checked, it's not worth the risk. (Obviously if there is a chance it isn't from the rectum, I'm not for a second suggesting your poo could be the baby in distress)

Let us know how you are xx

If it's definitely coming out of your rectum and not your vagina, and you otherwise feel okay, I probably wouldn't be too concerned. Things you eat can cause black stools (lots of green veg can sometimes), as can increasing the amount of iron you're consuming, some reflux medications can as well, I think. Mucus can sometimes be a sign of stomach upset or digestion issues. If you feel fine, it might just be a weird thing related to your digestion being a bit funny late in pregnancy. If you don't otherwise feel well, then yes, it's worth checking it out. Obviously, nothing can comes out the back can be related to baby, but if you're unsure where it's coming from, for instance if it could be from the vagina, then it's worth being cautious. I know I had the same when I was taking high potency iron tablets, which can be rough on the stomach/intestines.

Are you on iron tablets? They can turn poo black. I don't know why it would be mucus-y, might be best to call a midwife to check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->