Should I switch formula?

OwlBump

Hubby, Son and Bump
Reaction score
Just wondering how you know when to switch a formula? LO has been colicky since I switched him from breast to SMA first formula at 4 weeks old.
Not sure if it's normal to do so at this age but every time he strains to poop he'll cry frantically and most of the time nothing will help though sometimes cuddling him on his side and rocking him will help.

He has varying stool types, a yellowy pasty and like just now very loose with almost mucus like patches and greenish tinge.

The past week he's had a red ring around his anus, it gets less angry looking with Sudocreme but doesn't go completely

As of 4 days ago he's started crying and bringing up milk multiple times for an hour after feeds :(

I'm seeing the paediatrician tomorrow for his 6 week check so I will bring this up

I had the same issue with Sma I found it was far to rich and didn't agree with my boy.

I switched him to aptimal comfort milk and asked HV if this would be an issue was told it was Ok. I used this until the redness had gone from his bum as it helped soften his bowel movements then tried him on aptimal 1 which seems to agree with him xxx

the struggling to poo could be just from changing his milk, but since i put LO on sma stay down his poo was firm, defo constipated, its never been right since, i would possibly try something else see if it continues

I wouldn't say he's constipated , he goes twice a day like clock work, sometimes it's a little pasty but generally it's pretty thin.

Going to try a different one when the tub runs out in a few days though :)

SMA is notorious for this.

I'd switch to Aptimil 1 or Aptimil Comfort.

My LB goes almost every day but when he does its quite firm, mainly pasty and the doc confirmed thats a sign of constipation, she could tell by feeling his tummy

Thanks ladies, OH just went out and bought aptimil comfort so we'll see if that helps :)

Comfort milk was so good for my LO it helped a lot with his tummy issues. Remember it's thicker so you may have to go up a teat size. Try first though with the teats you have.

Aptimal comfort was fab for my little man just watch out for the nappies though we found they made them really sloppy and smelly sorry tmi. But baby was a lot more comfortable so it was worth it.

If it changes the colour of babies stools as well don't worry it does say on the packet this is quite common xx

I didn't know about changing teats! Thank I have a couple of size 2s but mostly 1s so looks like I might be buying more if the 1s are t fast enough

I did expect a few bowel changes but as long as he's happier I don't mind heh, thanks for the heads up

I didn't know about changing teats! Thank I have a couple of size 2s but mostly 1s so looks like I might be buying more if the 1s are t fast enough

I did expect a few bowel changes but as long as he's happier I don't mind heh, thanks for the heads up

when i put my LB on sma stay down, the milk was that thick i actually had to use size 3 (tt closer to nature- easi vent) as size 2 would block,. so i went out and spent loads on size 3 teats, 1 week later changed his milk again, luckily i can use the size 3 now on enfamil as he should use size 2 with normal milk so size 3 is like a size 2 iykwim LOL so yeah, dont buy too many incase your LO doesnt agree with the milk x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->