Should I switch to hungry baby formula?

Bluebell321

Reaction score
My LO is nearly 7 weeks old. She takes between 3 and 6oz each feed. During the day, she barely goes 2.5hrs max between feeds. During the night she only usually wakes once or twice for a bottle.

My HV told me not to use Hungry Baby milk as she's so young, as it's not good for her. She does suffer with a lot of wind and cries a lot when passing wind.

I was thinking of trying her on Hungry milk to see if it settled her more and made her last a bit longer between feeds in the day. What do you think?

I think that 2.5 hours between feeds during the day is fine, and only waking once or twice in the night to feed is fantastic going for a 7 week old. My bottle fed babies always went 2-3 hours between feeds during the day, and were on 5oz by 3 weeks! Still didn't feel the need for hungry baby milk as from what I've learnt it's supposed to be for older babies (like 3-4 months plus) to keep them satisfied until they are old enough for Weaning. Also I think it would probably unsettle you'd baby even more as hungry milk is harder to digest than first milk. Xxx

I agree with the PP. I think she sounds like she is right where she should be for her age.

Thanks. Maybe I'll stick with the normal milk for now then. I've just had my mum on at me saying she should be on a 4 hourly schedule and can't believe how often we have to feed her. Then a couple of other's have said to try her on hungry formula, as they did with their LO's.

My DS still doesn't go 4 hours and he is almost 7 months. He has been pretty consistent 3-3.5 hours between feedings. All babies are different.

It's just out dated advice is all. Strict 4 hourly feeding schedules probably was the norm when your mum had her kids. The advice is to feed on demand now whether it's breast milk or formula. Generally FF babies take fewer feeds than BF babies especially in the earlier weeks, but I'd say every 2-4 hours for daytime feeds is totally normal. Xxx

I wouldn't touch hungry baby milk with a barge pole and especially not at 7 weeks.

I'd carry on as you are.

I was told it was a minimum of feeding every 4hours but if your baby wants more then feed them. My baby is 3 months and wants feeding every 3-4 hours during the day, your baby sounds bang on track.

Perfectly normal. To be honest, yes, there is a phase after 4 months, when most babies hit roughly an every 4 hour pattern, but when they're little, as often as they want is best, as little and often is good for their tummies. As babies get older and start weaning, they do right back to eating about every 2 hours between meals, snacks, and milk feeds. My nearly 2 year old eat about every 2-3 hours all day. It really is normal. Think about how often you have a snack, a drink of water or a meal during the day. Just keep doing what you're doing and it all sounds just right.

I was told not to go longer than 3.5 hours by LO's pediatrician. Regardless he never lets us go longer than that. He usually wants to eat every 2.5 - 3.5 hours depending. Right now we've upped him to 4oz per feeding. I also have gotten comments that we should be going 4 hours between feeds - but those comments were all from older women - they used to do things differently back in the day. You have to do what's good for your LO and I would listen to your LO's doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->