Should i take my pump to the hospital? Uk

happigail

Mummy to Kitty and Ashy.
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm have my second section on Tuesday. Last time I had no supply and had to ff. I am pretty desperate for this to not happen this time and I'm going in eyes wide open. Luckily this time I don't have pre eclampsia sleep I'm not stuffed full of meds, but still it's another section so not a natural birth (second breech baby).

I've pumped once at 37 weeks and I got colostrum! Yes! So I stopped as want to save it for baby but already a good sign. So I'll stop the waffling....

Will it really help my supply if I take my pump into hospital and pump whilst baby is asleep? Would this bring my milk in quicker? I'm figuring I won't be able to keep any milk as no storage and won't want to use a bottle, but could pumping bring it the milk quicker for baby and then stop pumping?

Last time she lost so much weight and I really was t to avoid that if I can.

Thanks

hun remember your milk will come in within 3-5 days, so you need to give it time before giving up. Absolutely pump, it'll speed up things and up your supply. But do be careful when I tried to hurry up with my milk last time, I overproduced to the point that I actually HAD to wake up and pump and that was aside from the baby feeding.

I won't give up unless im not making and then I want to look into tube to breast to keep the chance going!

Great I'll pump then but in moderation! Thanks so much x

Sounds a good idea and try pumping after feeds.

Hand expressing is meant to be a better option before milk comes in. There are some videos on youtube on how to do it properly.

Cheers celesse. I'll give that a go and take my pump as well. Does anyone know if there is sterilizing options in uk hospitals so I can sterilize my pump there?

Yes pump but I'd recommend using a manual pump not an electric one. I was advised to pump for 5-10 mins after LO had tried to feed, it really seemed to help my supply.

Fantastic, thanks so much zorak. Really glad I asked now.

I'd watch some videos of hand expressing - it can be the easiest way, it certainly works best for me and you're less likely to hurt yourself. If you use a pump, the hospital might have a 'milk room' or something similar with sterilising equipment, sink etc so you can ask about that. I'm pretty sure you don't need to sterilise more than once a day either, so even if there aren't facilities that are easy for you to use, you could ask OH to take the pump home for a couple of hours and bring it back all ready for you.

I was in hospital in UK about a week ago..they had electric pump and sterelizing equipment on the ward x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->