Should i wean?

melody_cool

Reaction score
My baby is 4 months old, she has been 'eating' her hands a lot lately but i don't know if that is teething pains as she is drooling a lot too! i noticed the last few days she is hungrier, wanting the bottle more frequently...should i give her some rice? if so how much, new mother here so i really don't know :shrug:

Thanks.

There is often a growth spurt at four months. My son recently went through it, and wanted to feed a lot more often.

It is usually recommended that we wait till 6 months before weaning now.

I would advise upping her milk a bit, and seeing if this is a growth spurt. Chances are, in a week or so she'll be back to normal!

From what I've read, chewing on the hands is a common developmental stage, and often isn't to do with teething or needing weaning.

The signs to watch out for with weaning are being able to sit up unaided, is willing and able to chew, can pick things up with thumb and forefinger and has lost the tongue thrust reflex.

You know, my doctor told me I could try some thinned rice cereal out on David starting at 4 months, so I did. And you know what, David flat out refused to eat it! When I tried a bit again on him at 5 months, he took it like a champ (we started with 1-2 tbsp diluted with breastmilk until it was very runny).

I really think that if you try and give food too early for your LO, your baby will probably reject it until he's digestively mature enough. That said, I'd probably wait until he was closer to the 5-6 month mark, if you think your baby can wait that long. Good luck!

I started Morgan on rice at 3 months he weighed 9lb 6 at birth so he was hungrier very early! He'd get tired of sucking on the teat of milk but still be starving. They do say it's ok to start weaning from 17 weeks so of u feel she needs it then go ahead! Start with a few mouthfulls then work up x

I don't think those signs really sound like she is ready. I would wait it out some more and see how she's doing with just more milk

I started rice at 4 and a half months as Sam was constantly grumpy and hungry!! He was a changed baby after I started them!! He is much more content.... The guidelines do say to wait, but they also say that you can start after 17 weeks but make sure you continue to give at least 28 OZ of milk a day, their main source of nutrition needs to be milk for at least 6 months..
but every baby is different....
Sam still has at least 4 feeds a day and rice!! He loves it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->