Should I write to hospital about my wish to HB?

munchymum

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I can't find a thread on it so I'm hoping someone can give me advice. My midwives have had no issues booking me for a homebirth and they have not mentioned any anticipated problems with staffing. However, other mums in the area have told me that they have been denied a homebirth when they went into labour, being told that there was nobody available to attend. There are some old stats on the hospital's website which show that several women have been told this, and have ended up coming into hospital.

I asked my midwife about it today and she said that it was a problem when they were busy, but things aren't looking bad for when I'm due. I'm 34 weeks now. I'm just not sure whether to write to the Trust stating my intention to homebirth, or should I just let things lie until the event itself (when I will refuse to come in!). I've read all the advice in UK homebirth reference site and the AIMS website. I'm just not sure if writing a strong letter is being a bit too aggressive. The midwife said they do their best to meet your wishes, and I don't want to get anyone's backs up.

I know I'm in a miles better situation than many - at least they have willingly booked me in for HB - but I'm already worried about being denied a mimdwife when I go into labour. I couldn't handle having to change my plans at that stage. Has anyone else been in a similar situation, did you do anything about it and how did it turn out?

They have to attend you. Just refuse to go into hospital :shrug:

WSS^^^

You cannot be refused...they can try and tell you that but you will be attended.

yeh same here, if they told me that i'd point blank refuse to go in and tell them you either send someone out or it'll end up an unassisted birth!! lol. they HAVE to provide the care!!

have someone ready to take over on the phone and tell them you wont be coming in to hospital when your in labour lol my OH has a lil speech written out so he knows what to say

Great idea to write the speech out. So I think I'll hold off writing and just wait. It worked out OK for my last baby. What I wonder is, are there any trusts that don't give the "if we're busy you might have to come in" speech?

im in the same situation as you. Im not going to sweat it until it actually happens in which case i will tell them that I'm not coming in and could they please send someone to attend me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->