should i?

zoeb1234

Reaction score
hello laides,just thought i would ask your opinion.
ive just recieved a letter from my doctor saying they are offering flu jabs to pregnant women,im currently 7+1 weeks and just wondered if there could be any side effects or anything if i do have the jab.

Do it! It is best for pregnant women to get a flu shot. Out immune systems are already weaker. I have the flu right now and I am 6wks. I have morning sickness to go with it and feel like I'm dying at times.

I was in two minds as well as there's a lot of bad things going round about it but the risks are 99% smaller than the benefits so I'm going to do it xx

I had mine done last week, before I got my BFP.

I'm not worried - my DH used to work for one of the companies who make the vaccine and they have a register set up for and birth defects believed to be as a result of the jab. It had no entries at all when he left in April this year. :thumbup:

I usually won't get the jab b/c the last time I did I got very, very sick. Most of my family also reacts poorly to it so there has to be something genetic.

However, pregnancy is the only time I will make an exception. Because of my history, my doctor is having me wait until 2nd trimester to be safe so I will probably get it in the next two weeks.

Personal choice but I had mine when I was 10 weeks. If your in the UK you'll be given a dead vaccine so you won't get flu symptoms. It's more to protect baby then you :)

I don't think I'll be getting it I never get flu might have had it once in my life... Whenever my family have the jab they seem to get the flu and I don't want to be feeling crappy when I don't have to lol x

It's not a live vaccine in the UK so it can't give you the flu, although it can cause side effects in some people and of course you can catch the flu anyway - it doesn't make you completely immune.

However I believe the benefits outweigh the risks so I had it at 4 1/2 weeks pregnant. I was terrified I'd react badly to it but my arm was just a little sore for a couple of days, that was it.

I decided not to have it in the end. There are hundreds of flu virus around and I understand that this shot only will protect you from 4 of them.
i decided i didn't want to put myself or the baby through it. I agree that our immune systems are weaker, as a couple of weeks ago I got a virus and laryngitis so not nice. However, both me and baby are doing just great (i am 19 weeks today).
its a personal choice and you do what is right for you
x

The shot actually protects against 56% of flu viruses (still not great stats). The biggest problem is that there are new strains every year that can't be predicted.

In the US the shot is also the dead virus. There is a nasal spray which is a live virus but they are not supposed to give that to pregnant women.

If a person is allergic to eggs he/she can also request an egg free vaccine shot but not all pharmacists have them on hand.

This is not to push anyone in any direction, as it's a very personal choice. What swayed me is that it will protect the baby for the first 6 months after birth. I am due June 4 so the first 6 months will include the highest rate of flu in my area. I am still scared to get it but, even if I do get sick again from the shot, it won't be as bad as the flu itself. 3 people in my town almost died last year from the flu - one adult and two small children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->