Should Kate Obey?

Nibblenic

Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ride-obey-following-Princess-Dianas-lead.html

"Kate Middleton will not vow to 'obey' Prince William in her wedding vows - following Princess Diana's lead, it was claimed last night.
The bride-to-be will instead promise to 'love, comfort, honour and keep' her husband."

Should she promise to obey?

After all she is marrying the future King or is she a modern women in modern times with her own life, opinions and status?

I dont think anyone should have to obey their husband/wife no matter what family they are marrying into. You should respect,care,look after ect but to obey their every word NEVER!

When I married hubby our vows didn't include 'obey' as I just hated that word when it comes to marriage.

I think Kate shouldn't have to obey

It's a disgusting word imo. A dog ''obeys'' you. A wife shouldn't.

We did no include obey in our vows. Obeying has no place in our relationship.

William is not the future King of England but the future King of the Great Britain and Northern Ireland ;-)

I don't think obey is terrible to include in vows. I do think it's outdated though. My sister chose to keep it in her vows because of the way the meaning was explained to her by her pastor...I did not have this word in my vows. Our pastor doesn't even normally include it in vows.

Lol they need to take that word out of the vows. Before our vicar could finish his question as to whether I was an "obeyer" I had already said no.

I don't think the minister at our wedding even mentioned it being a possibility - I wouldn't have had it in if he'd asked though!!

I agree with "obey" being outdated. They won't be included in our wedding vows either.

My girlfriend had this said at her wedding to both bride and groom:
"As no person is property to be given or received, do you come here today of your own free will?" rather than the "who gives this woman to be married" line.
I thought that was cool.
And no "obey" for us, either.
Some traditions need to evolve.
Weddings are full of some of the most repressive and ugly symbolism. Not for me, thanks!

Is it bad that I can't even remember if we said 'obey'? :shrug: It was so long ago. For me, it's just a word. I don't think it's to be taken literally like a dog obeying an owner. :haha:

I don't think it matters so much in practice as it does in theory. I know couples where the wife said she would obey but they are marriages of equals IYKWIM. However in theory, the Church as a body is/should be evolving as society evolves and should be removing any traces of inequality. Those vows are symbolic of the nature of marriages in the past were where the man was superior.

That was the first thing I said I did NOT want in our vows. So it wasn't. DH knows who wears the pants in this family!:winkwink:

I dont think anyone should have to obey their husband/wife no matter what family they are marrying into. You should respect,care,look after ect but to obey their every word NEVER!

:thumbup:

Of course she shouldn't. Just because she's marrying a future king, doesn't make her less of a woman

:shrug: For me, it's just a word. I don't think it's to be taken literally like a dog obeying an owner. :haha:

wss ^

We're planning to get married this year, and I honestly hadn't even given mind to the whole 'obey' thing. I aim to make my OH happy, but I don't blindly do everything he says. Most importantly, I am not marrying someone who would invoke the right to make me obey him.

It's just a word. I like the way Kate worded her vows. It's a personal decision.

Marriage is a partnership these days and obeying insinuates that one is more powerful or has more rights. As William may be the future King it will be weird having a husband who is also your King.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->