Should suspects names be published to the public

Scamp

I'm a mummy
Reaction score
The thing with Rebecca Leighton got me thinking about this. She has been freed and cleared of any wrong doing yet her name is probably mud, is it likely she'll ever be able to work as a nurse again? There were loads of facebook groups against her and a lot of people thought she was guilty.

There was another example recently with a landlord but I can't remember names or details.

So, do you think we should know the names of suspects before they have been charged? x

No, definitely not. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

My innocent people are proven guilty. Many guilty people are deemed innocent.
(good job i changed my auto correct from incontinent)

Im not sure on this one. I think within their friends/colleges/local area. Gossip and word of mouth would reveal their identity anyway.

I dont think reveals peoples identity would be as bad if society weren't always looking for someone to blame/be angry at or scape goat.

Nope. I was going to say not unless its O J Simpson as a joke, but actually, what if they revealed suspects who have offended before and the crime is of the same nature? Eg a rapist etc?

Absolutely not. False accusations ruin lives. Innocent people are wrongly charged and subsequently found not guilty of crimes but their professional lives as well as personal lives are often left in tatters.

nope, Britian is meant too to be a 'innocent until PROVEN guilty' country, however we (by we I mean govenment) are often guilty of forgetting this themselves!

I voted yes and then I read the question again :dohh: I didnt see the before bit lol..

No I dont think names should be released before they are charged but I think all names should be released after including children and I dont think that anybody should be given a new identity.

The thing with Rebecca Leighton got me thinking about this. She has been freed and cleared of any wrong doing yet her name is probably mud, is it likely she'll ever be able to work as a nurse again? There were loads of facebook groups against her and a lot of people thought she was guilty.

There was another example recently with a landlord but I can't remember names or details.

So, do you think we should know the names of suspects before they have been charged? x

That was the landlord of Joanna Yeates who was murdered in Bristol - totally innocent man, life ruined by that story.

I thnk it's totally wrong to name a suspect and the media have much to answer for... they are there to report facts, not add to speculation.

Furthermore, police often don't like to release names of suspects to the public because it can ruin investigations.

No they shouldn't, the Rebecca Leighton case and the case of Joanna Yeates landlord are not the only cases; this type of thing happens to Muslims all the time for example a few months ago when some Bangladeshi men were arrested in the Lake district alledgedly taking pictures of sellafield; the true story turned out that they weren't taking any pictures and just got lost due to their sat nav and were totally innocent of any wrongdoing, but barely any newspapers even publicised this. xx

No they shouldn't, the Rebecca Leighton case and the case of Joanna Yeates landlord are not the only cases; this type of thing happens to Muslims all the time for example a few months ago when some Bangladeshi men were arrested in the Lake district alledgedly taking pictures of sellafield; the true story turned out that they weren't taking any pictures and just got lost due to their sat nav and were totally innocent of any wrongdoing, but barely any newspapers even publicised this. xx

I am sure it happens to people of all faiths, not just Muslims.

No.

Last year my DH was accused of (in the words of the police) "a sexual assault". Which can mean a wide range of things. It turned out someone we thought as a friend and neighbour accused him of rape and harrassment. DH volunteered all telephone numbers he had access to and they found no contact with her. It was hard enough to get over that without it making the local or national news.

Also, victims get anominoty if they wish. Unless convicted why don't the accused?

no, and They should not be bullying and judging her. Two wrongs don't make it right.

I do understand freedom of press though but I rather if reporters took a neutral side.

I am sure it happens to people of all faiths, not just Muslims.

Perhaps it does but it tends to be Muslims who get the headlines and stories revolving around them being arrested for terrorist offences, and presumed guilty with no basis whatsoever except them having a Muslim name or origins in a Muslim country. Often very imaginative stories will be dreamed up around the alledged offence; the details of which later turn out to be completely made up. It is true you don't get stories of 'Christians' arrested for terrorist offences and assumed to be guilty right away, at least not in this society and also when Muslims are arrested for terrorism offences and these slurs are made about them; the story about them being released without charge is rarely published in mainstream newspapers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->