Should there be an ambulance service specifically for drunks?

smelly07

Mummy of 2 girls & wifey
Reaction score
I read this article in a magazine and its appalling how these paramedics are treated..... is it really so much fun and go out and go so drunk you end up doing things these people do?

https://www.closeronline.co.uk/Real...ndon.aspx?dateonline=Tuesday+06+December+2011

should there be a 'booze bus' ....paramedics and ambulance service purely for drunks?

My DH works in patient transport - the "non emergency" part of the ambulance service. He has no desire to do his paramedic training because in his words "It used to be about helping people, or the first time you delivered a baby in the back of an ambulance. Now it's just about picking the drunks out the gutter..."

So yes, I think the booze buses are a good idea xx

I think paramedics in town centres are a good idea. Keeps the ambulances and A&E free for really emergencies.

I don't know where I stand on this, I really can't stand drunks and the way police and medical staff are treated is disgusting so I'm not sure if they should be getting special treatment for getting drunk, that money could be going somewhere more useful on the nhs, I really think anyone that goes in to A&E due to drink should get some sort of fine but thats a different argument all together lol.

I dont think ambulances should have to deal with any drunks or drug addicts.

However there is a whole pile of people, including us mums ringing ambulances unnecessarily

I think its a good idea and they should be billed for it afterwards (the drunks not the ambulance service) and the billing legally enforced. It would be even better if they had their own A&E if there was some way of making it not be funded by taxpayers money xx

Nahh, leave them where they fall ! lol....

This was my first thought too......:haha:

However I do think paying for the service after is a good idea. A legally served bill or something :shrug:, infact that goes too all the time wasters!:thumbup:

Yeah, actually send someone out to get them, but they take their fee from the idiots they pick up lol, just take what ever they have left in their wallet :)

This was my first thought too......:haha:

However I do think paying for the service after is a good idea. A legally served bill or something :shrug:, infact that goes too all the time wasters!:thumbup:

yeah i agree that all time wasters should be fined.........i would never ring for an ambulance unless i REALLY needed to. x

I don't know where I stand on this, I really can't stand drunks and the way police and medical staff are treated is disgusting so I'm not sure if they should be getting special treatment for getting drunk, that money could be going somewhere more useful on the nhs, I really think anyone that goes in to A&E due to drink should get some sort of fine but thats a different argument all together lol.

I agree with this. Especially the last part. I also think there should be some sort of fine in place.

I agree with this. Especially the last part. I also think there should be some sort of fine in place.

Yep defiantly agree with vaniilla and Laura :thumbup: Especially the part about having some kind of fine.

Hmm... I've just finished 4 months training in a&e and there's definately 2 types of people that get my back up- the first is the type mentioned in the article that get so drunk they need an ambulance. I've seen ppl poo themselves cos they're that drunk. It reallly really annoys me because often for the first part of their stay they will take up a bed in resus because they're passed out. Which is a total drain on resources especially as it often happens at night when staff is low. I think most of them would respond to a fine/ lecture about how theyre wasting resources that could be used for ppl who are actually sick! The second type is the 'regulars' that come to a&e and take the mick because they are definately not an a accident or an emergency- the perpetual drunks who have liver disease. I have no idea how you would deal with them because most of them have no money to pay fines. It's just life I guess that there are time wasters out there we just try not to make it too comfertable for them. As for the whole booze bus...I'd prefer them all to be treated in hospital to be honest, I can't help thinking that if they're all labelled as drunk occasionally someone who is really sick is going to slip through. Also what about the poor people that would have to run it!

And I bet because the uk has the nhs- it's abused by people a he'll of a lot more!
I am currently living in Kenya where 1- there is no nhs and 2- there aren't really any ambulances (if you could get one- it'd be better to hobble or crawl because traffic is SO bad)... Anyway- I now appreciate the nhs SO much now and cannot praise it enough! I will never criticise waiting lists etc because it's bloody free! And I will never take advantage of it.
I agree... Drunk people, time Wasters etc should be charged! And especially people who are abusive- they should pay double!

I think if it allows the other ambulances to be freed up for people who really need them then yes but the people who repeatedly end up in the back of 'booze buses' should be charged they should get the first ride free lol :haha:

I don't know actually where I stand on this as on the one hand their 'injury' is self inflicted and could be a real medical emergency such as Alcohol poisoning which does need genuine treatment but these are probably in the minority. But also if there was a specific ambulance service for drunk people, there would be so many people taking advantage of it. But then if this was provided it would free up the Paramedics for real emergencies.

I do agree on the charges for drunk people though abusing the NHS, just like drunk and disorderly people get fined from the Police.

funny enough, we watched a program about this a few weeks back, there is 1 area of london that are currently in a trial using the 'booze bus', I like the idea that it keeps the emergency ambulance's free for what they are intended for but on the flip side, the pure cost of the booze bus service was crazy and really, if their only problem is being drunk and their is no medical emergency then I do think they should be 'charged' for using the service, might make people a little more responsible when they are drinking

Wow.
We have binge drinking here, but nowhere near that scale. Scary stuff!
As the wife of a paramedic, I can tell you that if my husband came home injured by a violent drunk, I would be livid. I know it's a risk of his job, but I have no sympathy for someone who got themselves into that state and then lashed out at the people who were trying to help. I hope they absolutely drown in shame when they wake up the next morning. Disgusting!
If we were dealing with the same level of calls for drinking, then i would say that the booze bus would probably be the best way to deal with it, but it should be a combined police and ambulance service. You get medical treatment, but you are in a cell and you are charged and fined. Hey - if you are passed out in your own puke in the gutter, you are drunk and disorderly. End of.
The police presence would help to restrain the violent ones and protect the paramedics, as well.

I think they should be billed afterwards, its not fair they are using the service and taking it away from people who really need it because they have no self control. Pubs should also not be able to serve people who they think are to drunk as well (maybe I just feel that way since there is an alchoholic in my family) I know my family member has regularly had to be picked up due to his stupidity and then is abusive towards the poor staff, he is an embaressment

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->