• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should we pay £10 to see our GP?

I pay 30 a visit :wacko:

Ah but you don't pay national insurance contributions towards healthcare so at least that's something lol :flower:

No, but she probably pays a good bit of money each month towards private insurance and pays taxes towards the government funding of healthcare for low-income people :thumbup:

I know...healthcare is never free...it sounds like you're trying to argue with me but the point of this debate is asking if it is fair that we are expected to pay £10 for a GP visit when they have been "free" for the last 65 years paid for by the extra taxes which we call national insurance contributions, you really can't compare a country without universal healthcare with a country that does have it in the context of this argument. You guys haven't passed a healthcare bill yet, thus the way you pay for your medical healthcare is radically different to us, what you are implying in your defence is that it is unfair how much you guys are expected to pay considering you pay insurance and SOME taxes towards low income government aid, but you know it is your personal responsibility to pay for your own healthcare (or sort out means to) in your country whereas for us it isn't because we have a tax system that is supposed to pay for our healthcare. So you don't need to get defensive, I wasn't saying she isnt paying anything, of course she does, but in a sense, this system makes us pay twice.

I wasn't trying to argue, I'm sorry if it came off that way :flower: Personally, I don't know enough about the NHS to have an opinion on whether paying £10 is unfair. I don't know how much you pay towards the healthcare system. I don't know what it's like to wait 3 weeks or 3 months or more to see a doctor. Sorry for not having a constructive reply.

I wasn't trying to argue, I'm sorry if it came off that way :flower: Personally, I don't know enough about the NHS to have an opinion on whether paying £10 is unfair. I don't know how much you pay towards the healthcare system. I don't know what it's like to wait 3 weeks or 3 months or more to see a doctor. Sorry for not having a constructive reply.

Sorry I was just trying to show I wasn't trying to argue with Andypanda lol. I live under the NHS and can't wholly decide if it's fair or not :haha: your reply isn't unconstructive, just shows we all have to pay for healthcare some how, makes you wonder what is the fairest and most sensible way for 2013.

Ah but you don't pay national insurance contributions towards healthcare so at least that's something lol :flower:

No, but she probably pays a good bit of money each month towards private insurance and pays taxes towards the government funding of healthcare for low-income people :thumbup:

Ugghghhrhgh, we pay $500-$600/month for insurance and our regular check-ups still run about $130...gotta meet that damn deductible which will never happen because we never go to the doctor enough/fear going to the doctor to pay out of our a$$es!

Blahhhhhh, I hate insurance.

Here we used to have to pay 10€ every 3 months to see a doctor/dentist etc but they scrapped it not so long ago because the health insurance companies have more than enough. When you had to do that, you didn't have to pay it if you were on a low income/unemployed. If you have an op then you have to contribute towards it. There's also other stuff the health insurance won't pay for (e.g. if you want an all over body check for moles, you have to pay 25€. If you're older than 35 you get it for free).

I didn't mind paying that 10€ every 3 months because it means I get access to a top quality health service. The NHS, in my opinion compared to here is dreadful. I heard someone had to wait for 9 months to get gallbladder surgery - I only had to wait 2 days for mine.

£10 a visit may be a bit much and I do think there should be charges for missed appointments. The NHS should also stop making it so easy for people to just come into the country, have treatment then go back home again. There's so many things that can be done to lighten the load but don't seem to happen. I don't see the NHS lasting much longer.

It is ridiculously easy to see a doctor in the UK when you're not a resident. I had to take Maria to the doctor last time I was on holiday there and I had no proof of my citizenship (and Maria doesn't even have British citizenship at the moment) and I didn't have a European health insurance card either so really shouldn't have been entitled to the free visit.

I'm not in the UK, but from what I have read over the years of being on her was that the NHS is running low on money....so I see no issue with them charging that amount to see a doctor. Plus, it could very well keep those that go to the doctor for every single little issue away and save money. I think they are just trying to save the NHS from going under :shrug:

Ugghghhrhgh, we pay $500-$600/month for insurance and our regular check-ups still run about $130...gotta meet that damn deductible which will never happen because we never go to the doctor enough/fear going to the doctor to pay out of our a$$es!

Blahhhhhh, I hate insurance.

We were paying 1200 a month for just me and my son, not including my husband just to be covered for insurance with a 3k out of pocket deduction. Still had to pay 30.00 to see a doctor, 10-60.00 for prescriptions, and we still get taxes taken out weekly by the government.

I'm not in the UK, but from what I have read over the years of being on her was that the NHS is running low on money....so I see no issue with them charging that amount to see a doctor. Plus, it could very well keep those that go to the doctor for every single little issue away and save money. I think they are just trying to save the NHS from going under :shrug:

Yeah this is definitely one aspect, I think one concern is though that it'll make A&E departments manic, they are already making headlines for being overworked and the reduction in GP services are often blamed, throw charging people into the mix and this could exasperate the issue. I think I said earlier, I would pay for a good service, but ATM it isn't a great service, but then how do you make a great service with lack of funds....catch 22! I think I would be happy to start paying for some services if I felt the NHS' purse was being better managed in other areas, but frankly I resent paying £10 to see my GP about a medical condition when someone can get drunk and be taken to hospital in ambulance and have no charge (the cost of alcohol related issues on the NHS is another big issue here). It has to be fair, the back bone of the NHS is universal healthcare, and when you start putting a price on services you are losing that, but obviously it isn't sustainable as it is so I know we can't carry on getting what we have, but is the GP service the best place to start, I'm not sure.

Here we used to have to pay 10€ every 3 months to see a doctor/dentist etc but they scrapped it not so long ago because the health insurance companies have more than enough. When you had to do that, you didn't have to pay it if you were on a low income/unemployed. If you have an op then you have to contribute towards it. There's also other stuff the health insurance won't pay for (e.g. if you want an all over body check for moles, you have to pay 25€. If you're older than 35 you get it for free).

I didn't mind paying that 10€ every 3 months because it means I get access to a top quality health service. The NHS, in my opinion compared to here is dreadful. I heard someone had to wait for 9 months to get gallbladder surgery - I only had to wait 2 days for mine.

£10 a visit may be a bit much and I do think there should be charges for missed appointments. The NHS should also stop making it so easy for people to just come into the country, have treatment then go back home again. There's so many things that can be done to lighten the load but don't seem to happen. I don't see the NHS lasting much longer.

If you don't mind me asking, what does it cost you.

I do agree, I would rather pay a little for better health care and more choice in health care, but I'm not prepared to pay for what's in place now.

I mean take prescription changes, I've only ever lives in Scotland or Wales, it's always been free where ever I've been, but England they pay and the is discussion of putting it up to £10!!! One that's annoying that only England pays, secondly the report said that 90% of people in England get it free for various reasons such as low income! which makes it's even more annoying only 10% of people on England are paying for the whole of the uk and they want to out it up.

Plus that would happen here, they would decide certain people get it free, pensioners and those on benefits, so a huge % of people automatically get it free! But those are the people who use it the most and probably abuse it the most, we know the elderly use more service due to their age but they also will just go in for a chat as they are lonely, and those on benefits, we know that those in lower social groups have worse health and more issues with things like smoking, obesity etc.

So the rest are left to pay and still not able to see a doctor as they only work 9-5 3.5 days a week! Argh!

Don't get me wrong, I do think there should be help for low incomes and defiantly pensioners, but making changing based on income with defeat the whole object of the NHS, it's a service for all and although I can not see it standing the test of time, I don't think changing for gps appointments will help in anyway, other than some people die because they can't afford it and putting greater pressure on a&e where perhaps of changes have to be made that's the place to do it, surely if it's an emergency you won't be so worried at a small one off cost?

Quick ways to save the NHS money.

Sack the blooming "Management" who earn on average 6 figures and sit on their arses doing sod all except pass the buck. Our NHS Trust manager was well known for going on little trips while we paid for it.

Bring back Matrons. They run the wards do all the paperwork and leave the nurses free to do their job, nurse !. Most of my friends are nurses and the paperwork is the killer. They spend most of their shifts filling it out and chasing it.

Stop wasting money on "art installations". If people want to see art, they can go to a museum.

Charge for missed appts and have a 3 strikes and you're off the list thing happening.

Charge pissed up arses for wasting A&E, paramedics, radiology and police time. If they're drunk it's a self induced injury. Give them a sewing kit, some bandages and throw them out the door.

Stop hiring nursing staff on their ability to blag an exam. Compassion cannot be learned, you either have it or you become a Dr. Hire quality staff and save a fortune on malpractice cases.

GPs are not gods. They are the gatekeepers so why on earth give them the power to say what hospitals should spend their budgets on. GP's should have nothing to do with budgeting seeing as most of them can't budget on their measly wages !. Give the job to a skint mum. They can feed and clothe a family on £50 a week, imagine what they could do with an NHS budget.

And Finally ...

Turn the heating off in the summer. Heat breeds germs. That'll save you money on antibiotics and cut the deficit in one fail swoop.

Ahhhh I feel better now :D

I totally disagree with the whole idea of it, there are so many people who simply would not go, would miss early diagnosis and treatment and cost more to treat in the long run (this is about cost after all)

I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the £10, however there was a time when I couldn't have, and I am bad enough for seeing a doctor when I need to, in poorer times when my elder 2 were little and money was really right there is no way I would have paid to see a doctor, I would have ignored or suffered any symptoms.

Sack the blooming "Management" who earn on average 6 figures and sit on their arses doing sod all except pass the buck. Our NHS Trust manager was well known for going on little trips while we paid for it.

Bring back Matrons. They run the wards do all the paperwork and leave the nurses free to do their job, nurse !. Most of my friends are nurses and the paperwork is the killer. They spend most of their shifts filling it out and chasing it.

Stop wasting money on "art installations". If people want to see art, they can go to a museum.

Charge for missed appts and have a 3 strikes and you're off the list thing happening.

Charge pissed up arses for wasting A&E, paramedics, radiology and police time. If they're drunk it's a self induced injury. Give them a sewing kit, some bandages and throw them out the door.

Stop hiring nursing staff on their ability to blag an exam. Compassion cannot be learned, you either have it or you become a Dr. Hire quality staff and save a fortune on malpractice cases.

GPs are not gods. They are the gatekeepers so why on earth give them the power to say what hospitals should spend their budgets on. GP's should have nothing to do with budgeting seeing as most of them can't budget on their measly wages !. Give the job to a skint mum. They can feed and clothe a family on £50 a week, imagine what they could do with an NHS budget.

And Finally ...

Turn the heating off in the summer. Heat breeds germs. That'll save you money on antibiotics and cut the deficit in one fail swoop.

Excellent rant! I agree completely 100% with everything you have said.

If the NHS didn't waste so much money in other areas, then I would be more willing to pay more towards visits/treatment. As it stands, rediculous amounts are spent in areas that do not need money & yet they are closing valuable services because they are 'skint.'

I do agree, I would rather pay a little for better health care and more choice in health care, but I'm not prepared to pay for what's in place now.

I mean take prescription changes, I've only ever lives in Scotland or Wales, it's always been free where ever I've been, but England they pay and the is discussion of putting it up to £10!!! One that's annoying that only England pays, secondly the report said that 90% of people in England get it free for various reasons such as low income! which makes it's even more annoying only 10% of people on England are paying for the whole of the uk and they want to out it up.

Plus that would happen here, they would decide certain people get it free, pensioners and those on benefits, so a huge % of people automatically get it free! But those are the people who use it the most and probably abuse it the most, we know the elderly use more service due to their age but they also will just go in for a chat as they are lonely, and those on benefits, we know that those in lower social groups have worse health and more issues with things like smoking, obesity etc.

So the rest are left to pay and still not able to see a doctor as they only work 9-5 3.5 days a week! Argh!

Don't get me wrong, I do think there should be help for low incomes and defiantly pensioners, but making changing based on income with defeat the whole object of the NHS, it's a service for all and although I can not see it standing the test of time, I don't think changing for gps appointments will help in anyway, other than some people die because they can't afford it and putting greater pressure on a&e where perhaps of changes have to be made that's the place to do it, surely if it's an emergency you won't be so worried at a small one off cost?

If you are employed your employer pays for it. If you are unemployed the job centre will pay for it. If you are self employed I believe you pay about 120€ a month. So unless you're self employed you don't pay for anything.

This year they scrapped the 10€ every three months but last year you would pay that at the doctor and that would cover you at that doctor and a female doctor if you needed one. You'd also pay 10€ at the dentist. If you're on a low income you get a card which you show which makes you exempt.

This year I had gallbladder surgery and I had to pay 110€ towards it (the whole thing cost 4000€ I had so many tests done) but because I'm on a low income I didn't have to. If I was earning enough I wouldn't have minded paying for it as I only had to wait two days for the operation and the aftercare was top notch. I only had to pay 20€ towards the cost of my pregnancy. I had several scans (Germans firmly believe more scans are better and Germany has a rather low stillbirth rate - 4th lowest in Europe I believe), a free 3D scan and loads more. The insurance also paid for a family midwife to visit me twice a week and help me out with this like shopping, baby groups etc and all I paid was 20€.

So yeah, right now the 10€ every three months isn't applicable and your employer/job centre pay for main insurance. Some things you don't have to contribute to but when you do it's not much.

I'd rather pay for an excellent service than get a not so good one for free.

If you are employed your employer pays for it. If you are unemployed the job centre will pay for it. If you are self employed I believe you pay about 120€ a month. So unless you're self employed you don't pay for anything.

This year they scrapped the 10€ every three months but last year you would pay that at the doctor and that would cover you at that doctor and a female doctor if you needed one. You'd also pay 10€ at the dentist. If you're on a low income you get a card which you show which makes you exempt.

This year I had gallbladder surgery and I had to pay 110€ towards it (the whole thing cost 4000€ I had so many tests done) but because I'm on a low income I didn't have to. If I was earning enough I wouldn't have minded paying for it as I only had to wait two days for the operation and the aftercare was top notch. I only had to pay 20€ towards the cost of my pregnancy. I had several scans (Germans firmly believe more scans are better and Germany has a rather low stillbirth rate - 4th lowest in Europe I believe), a free 3D scan and loads more. The insurance also paid for a family midwife to visit me twice a week and help me out with this like shopping, baby groups etc and all I paid was 20€.

So yeah, right now the 10€ every three months isn't applicable and your employer/job centre pay for main insurance. Some things you don't have to contribute to but when you do it's not much.

I'd rather pay for an excellent service than get a not so good one for free.

Well it would cost is less than NI contributions! I wouldn't mind paying if the service was superior, sounds like a wonder health service.

And Finally ...

:thumbup: I agree, I used to be a nurse and I cannot imagine going back as it's just dreadful.

I mentioned previously about sacking management, I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone thinks having so many mangers on massive salaries is a good idea, I have no clue what the actually do!

I definitely agree with the charging of missed appointments. Completely agree with Fergie with a 3 strikes and your out opinion too!

I also think that you should be charged if your appointment runs over. I went to the doctors a few weeks back and it was more past an hour of my original appointment. I realised when this lady came out she'd be in for so long :wacko:

That should help 'times' more and keep them on schedule.

I also agree with charging people who waste time and cause the infliction/problem themselves. An old friend's aunt used to call the ambulance service every time she felt she wanted a bit of attention, each time they found nothing wrong with her but could never not go.....I think people like that should be charged and fined massively. Same for those that are drunk and disorderly!

I do not think that you should be charged £10 for an appointment though, I think that it is excessive to be honest! And you know it'll be the ones who pay for the prescription etc etc....who have to pay and not the work dodgers.....(ones who are pulling a fast one and not genuine cases!)

I lived in Glasgow for 8 years and in that time visited the GP maybe twice. I had to wait about a week to get an appointment so would try to sort things out myself, which once meant my bladder infection spread all the way up to my kidneys. During my uni training I had to sit in with GPs to see patients and a fair few of them were time wasters. There were the regulars who were in a couple of times a week for no good reason. Maybe if they had to pay a small fee they would think twice about going so often and people who really needed the appointments would be able to get them. I know $10 (sorry cant find the pound key on my keyboard) is a lot for some people so maybe they could charge say $5 for retired/unemployed/students, or do what they do in Australia which is they have some free GPs and some paid ones and you can chose where you go. I usually chose to pay so i can get seen the same day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->