shoulder dystocia Help please!

Shan4609

Reaction score
Hey ladies! I have a question about shoulder dystocia, I'm pregnant with baby no2, I had to see consultant as I'm under shared care for my asthma, abnormal smear last year and thyroid issues, randomally she brought up that with my last baby she got stuck?! First I had heard but in my notes it said baby's shoulders were lodged behind my pelvic bone and turtle necked? I don't recall this happening so was pretty shocked but did remember after the appointment them calling someone in during my daughters birth as she was bigger than they expected so I'm assuming they didn't want to worry me at the time as after a minute they managed to move my legs etc and she came out, so consultant has said I will need a growth scan at 34 weeks to check babies size and determine if this bubs will be bigger and I asked what will happen if she's bigger and they said c-section has this happened to anyone else? My LO Was only 7lb12oz and I've read online this happens with bigger babies ect I know I'm small down there but not this small lol. Worried I'll need a section now . TIA x

hi :)
My first didn't get stuck, but was a big baby and I had a delayed pushing stage, and as such was treated as a difficulty.
With my second I had regular growth scans, the last at 34 weeks estimated him to be near to 11lbs, the consultant was adamant I was to have a C-section and I refused it, we discussed how I felt (I felt that my son would be smaller than my daughter) and I was booked for induction at 38+3 due to his 'size'.

As it turned out, I had a very very easy 57 min delivery, and he was born at 8lb 9oz, two oz smaller than my daughter. Due to the worry of him getting stuck, I remained mobile (squatting, birthing ball etc) and refused pain meds (as these can reduce mobility) - before induction I was warned that a doc would be keeping a close eye and if anything was to happen it would be a section, but it all went well.

Believe in yourself, its a second baby and the body will have experience now, but if you are worried don't worry about the section, just trust your gut. I did and my baby was a hell of a lot smaller than estimated.

My 2nd was a shoulder dystocia, rectified by changing position so she brought her shoulders free. With my 3rd I did have a growth scan but they didn't seem overly concerned about LO being too big or inducing if she was on the large side. They just said about avoiding the epidural, having an active labor if possible, stuff that was in my birth plan anyway. No shoulder dystocia with her :). Oh also, my DD who did get her shoulder stuck was my smallest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->