Shower/registry for #3?

stellababy

Reaction score
I don't plan on doing a shower /registry, as this is my third kid. I gave away most of my gear but my friends are giving me most of their used stuff.

Anyways, people are asking a lot of questions where am I registered, when is your shower, etc.

I wouldn't mind doing a small celebration for the baby but I don't want to make people buy presents as I am happy with used stuff I am getting.

Any ideas for small showers where people don't feel obligated to bring a gift?

I've never had a shower or a registry (even for #1), but I also hate whenever we do anything I feel there is some pressure on people to bring gifts, even for birthdays. I'd always just rather see people than receive gifts. What about having a lunch or dinner with friends and family but asking them to make a donation to a charity you support instead of bringing a present if they wish? Or bring some food or toiletry items that you could donate to a local food bank or women's shelter? I've actually done that a few times for my birthday as I honestly don't need more stuff. Or if there is one thing that you do want that isn't something you already have, could someone arrange to ask for contributions towards that instead of everyone buying you gifts? That way people do feel like they have been able to contribute to a gift, but you aren't getting loads of things you don't need/already have. I would just say that you don't have a registry if people ask. I'm not sure I would even assume someone would have one after their first. But if you just say that you don't and aren't expecting gifts, people might get the idea.

I think they call that a baby sprinkle where gifts are optional it's more of just a get together for friends and family

I'm in a similar (but different) situation. We've been foster parents for 2+ years but this is my first pregnancy. (well, second.. but first viable pregnancy). Our family is excited so they want to throw us a "shower" but as we've been parenting for over 2 years now, we really don't need anything. We are actively caring for a 5 month old who we brought home from the hospital at 6-days old so we literally have all the infant supplies we need.

But I also don't want to rain on our family's excitement. So we're going with a "party" (I'd rather use that word than shower, however that hasn't been fully agreed to yet..) and are specifying "gifts are neither required nor expected. Please join us to celebrate.. " in the invitation.

I wouldn't think you were making anyone do anything, especially as they are asking you. There are people, I'm one of them, who genuinely love going to baby showers and buying gifts. You could always do something small at home or at someone else's home, a get together with finger foods and a cake or something, and put on the invite that gifts aren't expected. I will say though that I do that every year for dds birthday and she still gets gifts. Regarding the registry, I'd just do what feels right to you. I hadn't planned on doing one when pregnant with daughter, but people kept insisting and asking about it, I finally did. In all honesty, I love when people do registries; otherwise, I just obsess about whether the person will like what I bought or need it.

Perhaps have a small gathering and ask those who want to buy a gift to donate to a local shelter or charity instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->