sick baby?

Kay_

Reaction score
So yesterday I noticed that my 7 month old had a cough, every time she coughs it sounds like there phlegm in her throat. She also has a stuffy/runny nose. I checked her temperature and it seems normal, no fever. I've been giving her infant Tylenol which says its for colds, etc. So I guess my question is, should I continue giving this to her and she'll get better like every other cold or should I take her to the doctor? I've attached a photo of the medicine I've been giving about twice a day.

FYI - This is my first child so I've never really been through the "sick" stage with any child before.

Thanks!<3

94a2679a196e2165bd3ec861754519bc_ra,w380,h380_pa,w380,h380.png

Hello, I hope you're ok and not getting too worried? My Ds is 9 already so it's a long time since I went through this, anyway... the tylenol says it's for fever and pain, you've said your little one doesn't have fever so it is possible she doesn't need the medication. Is she blocked up? A local pharmacist is always good to speak to about what to give, if anything. As you say she's gotten over cold before, is there any reason you think this one is different?

I would get the go ahead from a pharmacist to check it's right medication to give and maybe visit the doctor to check if there is anything else needed. Hope your LO is feeling better soon :)

If say for just a cold or cough to let her ride it out and only medicate If theres a fever or obvious pain. Just plenty of fluids! :)

Hello, I hope you're ok and not getting too worried? My Ds is 9 already so it's a long time since I went through this, anyway... the tylenol says it's for fever and pain, you've said your little one doesn't have fever so it is possible she doesn't need the medication. Is she blocked up? A local pharmacist is always good to speak to about what to give, if anything. As you say she's gotten over cold before, is there any reason you think this one is different?
I completely forgot about asking the pharmacist...but then again they might just suggest the same thing that I'm already giving her. The Tylenol says its for colds & flu as well. Maybe I should try and find something for cough? This would be her first time getting sick ever.. It's been about 4-5 days maybe now..

If say for just a cold or cough to let her ride it out and only medicate If theres a fever or obvious pain. Just plenty of fluids! :)
Ok. So I shouldn't give her anything? I'm just trying to get rid of her cold as soon as possible. I'm thinking maybe its from being outside? She did have her flu shot already and we went to Canada's wonderland for winterfest the other weekend so I'm thinking its from that...Her head seems hot sometimes but when I take her temperature it shows 37.2C at the most. Her nose is very runny and shes constantly coughing:(

If it's the cold then it's just a matter of time till it's out of her system, keeping her hydrated and if she has a fever then cooling her with damp cloths (not cold water, cooling her skin to much can cause her internal temp to go up - mixed signals) or medication, I've never come across tylenol in the UK, our NHS site would suggest baby paracetamol or ibuprofen. If she's not miserable I'd probably just stay in and cosy with her till it clears. Good luck.

Ok. So I shouldn't give her anything? I'm just trying to get rid of her cold as soon as possible. I'm thinking maybe its from being outside? She did have her flu shot already and we went to Canada's wonderland for winterfest the other weekend so I'm thinking its from that...Her head seems hot sometimes but when I take her temperature it shows 37.2C at the most. Her nose is very runny and shes constantly coughing:(

If it's a cold then calpol or any of the sort wont get rid of it, it's just for pain or fever. It's like us taking paracetamol for a cold, a bit pointless as it wont get rid of the cold! If there is a fever present then by all means calpol will help with that or teething pain, it will help with that too, but for a cough and cold alone? Nah it wont help. Maybe try burning some olbas oil to help with the stuffiness and plenty of fluids should help with that. A temp of 37 is ok nothing to worry about but slightly on the warm side of normal. Does the calpol help bring the temperature down when you give it?

Oh and incase you haven't got a clue what calpol is, its baby paracetamol, I forgot it's called something different in most counties

If it's a cold then calpol or any of the sort wont get rid of it, it's just for pain or fever. It's like us taking paracetamol for a cold, a bit pointless as it wont get rid of the cold! If there is a fever present then by all means calpol will help with that or teething pain, it will help with that too, but for a cough and cold alone? Nah it wont help. Maybe try burning some olbas oil to help with the stuffiness and plenty of fluids should help with that. A temp of 37 is ok nothing to worry about but slightly on the warm side of normal. Does the calpol help bring the temperature down when you give it?

Oh and incase you haven't got a clue what calpol is, its baby paracetamol, I forgot it's called something different in most counties
I've actually never heard of it at all before...I don't constantly take her temps so I'm not sure if its changing after giving her the Tylenol...It says for colds and flus so I'm pretty sure I would just get recommended to continue to give her that..I just asked a few people with babies in my area and they said the doctors would probably just give more Tylenol

Just a little update in case someone wants to read this post in the future (may help someone)...I ended up getting two other medicines for her that the pharmacist recommended which can be given together. Both are holistic medicines, photos attached;

She also seems to be coughing less now hours after giving it

L0635232.JPG
L1281377.JPG

I've actually never heard of it at all before...I don't constantly take her temps so I'm not sure if its changing after giving her the Tylenol...It says for colds and flus so I'm pretty sure I would just get recommended to continue to give her that..I just asked a few people with babies in my area and they said the doctors would probably just give more Tylenol

If it's for cold and flu then by all means keep using it I dont think we even have tylenol I'm the UK if we do then I've never come across it and I'm on my 3rd baby! :haha: I thought it was like a baby paracetamol sort of thing. Glad shes on the mend though :)

I know it's scary, with you first especially, and that you desperately want to do something to help. As it is at the moment no pharmasutical company has come up with a cure for the cold - the one that does will be worth a fortune. They are all very good a labeling their products to look as though they have though, it's a way of playing on our fears. Your pharmacist looks as though they're not pushing unneeded medications, good for them, natural products to relieve the congestion, and the symptoms of congestion can be some of the most distressing oned. I would say that a cough can be a good thing if the wee one has mucus, they need to clear that and coughing can be how that happens, a dry cough is really irritating though.
I've just remembered that my sister and I always used menthol crystals to clear congestion, they worked brilliant and didn't smell unpleasant or overpowering. You put them in to some hot water in a burner in the room that you are using, I had a wee electric vaporiser that I'd use overnight so I wasn't leaving a candle lit. I'd still use it for us now except we share a home with my other sister who has epilepsy, menthol, and a lot of these types of decongestant, are contraindicated in epilepsy.
Hope you both get a good sleep soon. Xx

I know it's scary, with you first especially, and that you desperately want to do something to help. As it is at the moment no pharmasutical ompany has come up with a cure for the cold - the one that does will be worth a fortune. They are all very good a labeling their products to look as though they have though, it's a way of playing on our fears. Your pharmacist looks as though they're not pushing unneeded medications, good for them, natural products to relieve the congestion I understand. I would say that a cough can be a good thing if the wee one has mucus, they need to clear that and coughing can be how that happens, a dry cough is really irritating though.
I've just remembered that my sister and I always used menthol crystals to clear congestion, they worked brilliant and didn't smell unpleasant or overpowering. You put them in to some hot water in a burner in the room that you are using, I had a wee electric vaporiser that I'd use overnight so I wasn't leaving a candle lit. I'd still use it for us now except we share a home with my other sister who has epilepsy, menthol, and a lot of these types of decongestant, are contraindicated in epilepsy.
Hope you both get a good sleep soon. Xx

I think pharmacists are much better than doctors these days with giving advice on medication

I agree about pharmacists, I've even had one give advice that didn't involve buying anything from them!! They are far more of a community service, if they provide good information then you'll keep going back to them, and if doesn't cost you anything they come across even better. I know in the UK the NHS are keen to encourage us the seek advice from pharmacists (and opticians if it's eye related) rather than overwhelming the GPs and A&E departments. When I was at my dentist last I noticed even they were offering 'stop smoking' services (not that I smoke, but very accessible if you do)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->