Sick with a bad cold

ps57002

Reaction score
Hi ladies

Feeling really miserable here and not sure what I can take.

Week 16 of pregnancy. Been fighting getting sick with all that cold flu around for weeks through natural ways of gargle zinc lozenges, honey, ginger, nasal wash etc. Had flu shot before getting pregnant

Managed till now. Now have really bad cold. Mostly nonstop sneezing and runny nose and eyes. Light cough and sometimes sneezing stops and get congestion. Sore throat on off. Feverish on off but no fever.

What can I take?

Doc had said Tylenol cold ok but reading online that ingredient phenylephrine pseudo ephedrine may affect placenta but maybe ok in 2nd tri.
What did u take if sick? I would've taken coldcam but not much research on homeopathy medicines and pregnancy. Also what about meds with antihistamine like dextromethorpham or doxylamine succinate?

Miserable and want telief

I feel for you! I have been sick 13 days with a cold now that just won't go away.

I'm not sure where you live and if medications are the same there, but my doctor says to use Tylenol for pain and to use Benadryl and sudafed for congestion.

Feel better!!!

I have had the worst sinus infection for over a week now and it is still lingering! I haven't gotten sick in awhile and of course, it's worse when being pregnant. I took children's liquid Tylenol and that seemed to help a bit, but I had really bad nasal congestion that just wouldn't let up so I got nasal spray and a Neti pot which literally saved me. I also took Benadryl before going to bed and that seemed to help ease up the congestion as well. I also have been using the Cepacol throat lozenges for the sore throat/cough. It's been really hard trying to find medicine to help me, but all of these seemed to work. Hang in there & hope you feel better!

I took Mucinex to help clear junk out when my cold turned into a sinus infection. Helped loosen the mucus. I also took Dayquil (the doc didn't seem to mind) to deal with it.

Dextromethorphin and doxylamine succinate are both fine. The latter is in Diclectin, a pregnancy anti-nausea, or Unisom, a sleep aid. Is phenylephrine pseudo ephedrine a non-active ingredient? I thought Tylenol was just acetaminophen.

I was told no to Nyquil night-time, but this was actually because the liquid formula has alcohol as a non-active ingredient, not because any of the active ingredients were bad.

EDIT: Oh, searched and read that you said pseudoephedrine and I got confused by spaces. lol. Internet says phenylephrine is useless, and pseudoephedrine I've been told by a pharmacist is fine to use.

Secondly, it's important to remember that if you aren't sleeping, that can be worse for the baby than taking medications. It's best to be guided by your doctor in this; call the nurse if you have any questions.

Igh me and my daughters have been sick all week, too. All that's left is a cough a d I feel like Imm going to pee my pants.

Thank you all for responding. I feel much better now. Ended up just taking off from work for two days, doing nasal rinses 2x daily or so, some zinc lozenges to boost immune, salt water gargle, and warm water with honey. Took some time but finally am better, though still slightly nasal congested but think that's pregnancy congestion. It sucks to be so sick.

SIL and Pooch, I hope you girls are feeling better too. Just do hydrate properly esp when sick. I didn't and yesterday on way to work almost had a total fainting on train. I realize I need to hydrate myself more so working on that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->