Side Affects To Taking Folic Acid --->UPDATE

MummyToAmberx

Mum to 3 Girls 1 Boy
Reaction score
Anyone suffered any?
Is all folic acid the same like Boots make to what doctor may give you?

My lip has been swelling up last 4 days or so, wasnt sure what was due to, now today i woke up with a rash around my eyes and on my nose.
I ran my mam asking any advice, she sais started taking anything new, which i have folic acid... ive had quick look on side effects it says swelling lips... nothing about rash though.

If you are experiencing severe side effects to Folic Acid such as difficulty breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of your lips, tongue or face, or hives then you need to see immediate medical attention and stop taking the Folic Acid. Other side effects that have been noted include fever, general weakness or discomfort, reddened skin, shortness of breath, skin rash or itching, and wheezing and they can vary in severity.

Sadly, i havent had time to go see doc/ring anyone today etc, as i had plans with involved me driving.
since coming home checking my face its got worse, it has spread to my forehead coming down my cheeks.
Deffo going to see if i can see someone tomorrow.

If you're having these kinds of side effects I would call the midwife/doctor and get yourself some green veg and other stuff with it in naturally (strawberries are good too!) so that in the mean time you can survive without taking it over the weekend. I'm sure there is an alternative that /he can recommend too.

Hope that this settles down for you soon! xx

i dont have mw number as i aint seen 1 yet.
is docs open today? with it being good friday.
thanks for the help

Ring NHS direct for some advice hun! They will tell you what you may need to know till you can speak to your dr. I didnt take folic acid this time coz I had bad morning sickness so I stopped taking it.

I would give it a try...there may be an on-call service that you can speak to. Or NHS direct may be an option. Not taking it for a couple of days will not have a detrimental effect especially if you eat plenty of natural folates, so I would stop taking it straight off and deal with it on Tuesday if you can't get hold of anyone.

Some cereals have it added like special K and bran flakes. Most bread has it in now too!

have u took a antihistamine? like prition or sumthin or used a cream tht would take the redness out of the rash! xx

i hpe you sort it out, it must of been frightening ....

I reckon you should ring nhs direct as they say they are there to offer advice on anything,doesnt necessarily have to be majorly ill or something to ring them.They will probs have more idea what it could be.Also would stop taking the folic acid for now if you havent already.Hope you get some answers soon hun

NHS direct (0845 46 47) are open 24hrs a day hun I would ring them now and they will advise you on what to do.xxx

Iv rang them, spoke to doc, said more than likely wont be the folic acid
got to go to clinic tomorrow to be checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->