Signing and autism

AP

Reaction score
I am so SO frustrated. :(

Alex was just recently diagnosed with autism (shes 4 in June) but we've had issues since she was born and she cant talk.

Our city is one of very few that use Sign A Long rather than Makaton. They changed from makaton to this a few years ago. It seems mind boggling considering that Makaton is more mainstream.:wacko:

We began Sign A Long in the early stages but we have had a huge lack of support. We were given a few sheets of photocopied A4 paper with signs and that was it. They do the odd Sign A Long class with topics each time but some of these topics are completely irrelevant to little Alexs life - for example "At the Beach" isnt going to be any good when we are only there a handful of times in a year!

We decided to let Alex watch Mr Tumble and Something Special - and this is where we turned a massive corner. Having Justin on the TV and having something exciting for HER to watch and get involved in really has paid off. There are slight differences but most of the signs are the same/so similar. Alex's nursery are happy to use Makaton too - they in fact seem more comfortable using what they were originally trained on. :thumbup:

But our home visiting service lady has been so, SO judgemental about our choice. She complains that thats not what our city uses, yet we could move to any neighbouring city tomorrow and it would be Makaton being used. We're losing this lady once we are moved to the autism spectrum support team but I imagine we are going to have the same arguements on a grander scale!:dohh:

My husband is booked in for the Makaton.org course coming up this month and as its the professionals course they have had to put him into, nursery are excited and they will all share together what they know and learn.

is it really such a big deal????:nope: I'm becoming increasingly upset about it while Alex is running with Makaton and loving it, we're finally seeing her "ask" for things and its exciting!

Knowing that there are more Makaton resources out there available to us and everyone than the crappy photocopied a4 Signalong bits of paper they give us, it seems a no-brainer!

One of my older children has asd and we signed with him. At the time it was sign along but because there were no resources for children I made the change to makaton. There are very few differences and now 10+ years later I'm using makaton with his little brother. Personally I believe that everywhere should use makaton rather than sign along simply because it is far more mainstream and now there are programmes like something special non sen children are starting to understand the signs.

I'm glad that your lo is connecting to something special, I love the way my little man tries to copy the signs is just so nice to watch them learning to actually communicate.

This is so reassuring and exactly the reason why I have chosen Makaton. This woman is really frustrating me!

No advice, but I'm so glad that she is getting on so well with Makaton! Isn't that the most important thing? When the doors of communication open, it's like a revelation and we can get to know our kiddos in a completely new and amazing way. I feel like that should be the focus - not what technique you're using. Hugs :hugs::hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->