Signs of autism but not diagnosed?

dolly5x3

Reaction score
My son had an evaluation yesterday for autism and although he does show some signs of it they said it's not enough to diagnose him with autism. The few things I've noticed he does that worry me are
-his lack of eye contact. He makes some eye contact but not as much as I think he should. It seems he's just started making eye contact a little more than usual recently but still not enough.
-he doesn't always respond to his name. I can repeat myself 10 times right next to him loud and clear and if he's watching TV or playing with a toy he won't even glance at me.
-he flaps his arms when he gets excited
-he doesn't have any words yet. I think sometimes he calls me mama cuz when I walk in from another room he start saying mamamama but doesn't call me it to ever get my attention or anything. He babbles as if he is trying to have a conversation with you sometimes but says no real words.
-he doesn't point at things he wants with his index finger. He'll push my hand in the direction of something he wants me to grab for him or he'll reach up for it to show me he wants it. He also brings me his cup or baba when he wants something to drink.

On the other hand he's very social. He loves playing with other kids and usually is the one to go try and interact with them first. When strangers talk to him he smiles at them although he is a little shy. I forgot to add he is 18 months. I was told to wait six months and if by then he's not trying to say any words or trying to repeat words or sounds I say that I should bring him back to be reevaluated. His pediatrician was the one who referred him because he's behind on a few things. She said from what she's seen of him though that she doesn't think he's autistic. I've read that it's better to get a diagnosis sooner. It's just so confusing and stressful worrying about it then being told to wait again. Is he just too young right now? Is it possible as he gets older he'll change and start to show more signs of autism? He's seeing a speech teacher every 2 weeks to help him catch up on his speech. I just wish I had a definite answer so I would know what I have to do to help him.

Hi Dolly, children are stressful aren't they!

I am a Psychologist and have experience working with children with ASD and my nephew has also been diagnosed with Autism a few years ago.
One important thing to remember any diagnosis falls on the spectrum so the range is quite large.

The way you little one is very social is a great sign, as Autism affects individuals in 2 main ways: impaired communication and social skills; and repetitive behaviours and restricted interest in activities.

I think starting speech therapy is perfect at this point because that seems to be where his main issue is. Speech therapy would be a main part of your early intervention program if you were to have a diagnosis anyway, so if a diagnosis was to come in the future you have already started your therapy.

It is best to have an early diagnosis in order to get early intervention services started, however it is difficult to diagnosis mild autism at this age, because children are so varied and learn things at different rates. Boys often master speech slower than girls, and generally speaking 10 + words at this age is what we would be looking for. Pointing is also something to be working on too. Pick what your son is interested in (e.g. birds and go out bird watching and model lots of pointing (also in books and around the house). Repetition is the best way to encourage early learning.

Although flapping arms is quite a classic Autism trait, for an 18 month old it is not unusual to see this at all when they are excited. Other signs to keep an eye out for (including what you are looking for already) would be: interaction with people/ toys, following one step instructions (give me the ball), gesturing (waving, pointing), having an intense interest in a particular toy or object (obsessively even), easily upset in routine changes, sensitive to sensory experiences (washing hands/ particular foods).

Good luck with it all! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->