Simple Cheese Sauce Recipe?

candeur

Reaction score
I'm not much of a cook, so was wondering if anyone had a cheese sauce recipe that I can have to make cauliflower cheese or something for Seren... I've looked at the Annabel Karmel one but it's a three cheese sauce, I've only got cheddar for Seren... can you make a sauce with that? What do you have to do?

Here is a very easy cheese sauce that I use for everything from lasagne to fish pies to simply pouring over mashed potato. This method is much easier than doing it in a saucepan and you never get any lumps either!

15-20g cornflour
300ml milk
50g grated cheese
2.5-5ml mustard
pinch of cayenne pepper

Put the cornflour in an empty jar, add a bit of milk and shake well. Heat the remaining milk in a jug in the microwave. Add the contents of the jar and mix well. Continue to heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese and seasoning.

This is an AK one
15g butter
1 tablespoon plain flour
150ml milk
50g cheddar

melt butter, stir in flour to make paste. whisk in milk, stir till thickened. take off heat and stir in grated cheese.

Ahhhem.... try this for a super simple cheese sauce.... I make this when I'm really short of time. DD loves it.

6oz full fat cows milk
4 dairylea triangles
1 tablespoon of tomatoe puree

Plonk all of the above in a pan over a medium heat, stir until all dairylea has melted.

Done. lol!

Great with cauliflower or mix with veggies or pasta

xxx

Here's a roux sauce which you can use for all manner of sauces in general:

Basic recipe:
1oz flour (plain)
1oz marg
1/4pt milk (or more if you want it wetter)

Melt fat in a pan, sprinkle flour over and spread a bit with a fork so it absorbs the fat. Heat gently until the flour begins to look paler and a bit fluffy. Spread out lumps if it's a bit chunky.
Turn the heat right up whilst adding the milk and whizz it all round with a fork so that the flour/fat disperses into the milk. Keep stirring it quickly with the fork while the milk heats. Once it begins to bubble turn the heat right down and allow to simmer for a few moments then it's done.

At this point you can add the cheese top your own tastes, 3oz would be plenty. Or you could add anything else you want in it, or just pour it on to veg and bake.
If you make it thinly with more milk it can be used as a white sauce for lasagne to go between each layer.

Oh and it you master this then you can add 3 egg yolks (off the heat) and then the cheese. Whisk the 3 egg whites until stiff, fold in the yolk mixture and pour into a tall dish and voila, souffle! (Half an hour on GM6, make sure it's low enough in the oven that when it rises it won't stick to the top!)

Thanks girls, It took me a couple of attempts, but I succeeded in making a damn good cheese sauce! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->