Single MMR Vaccine

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
That insane thread in Baby Club has reminded me about the MMR again as Aisling is due to get her appointment pretty soon.

Has anyone managed to get single vaccines in the UK for MMR? I've heard that I think it's the one for polio isn't available even if you go private. Not really sure who to speak to about it - GP maybe? I'm seeing the HV tomorrow about Aisling's latest booby strike so could ask him too.

Figured it was safer to ask you guys than Baby Club!

Thanks! :flower:

mumps has been discontinued

we were going to get leyla the measles one, we were going to let her decide for herself when she was older if she wanted rubella cos it only affects you if you are pregnant, and we werent worried about not being able to get mumps as we read it was only dangerous for boys

we have never actually gotten round to getting her the measles one yet though, im trying to put it off for as long as possible

x

Thanks Ellie. I'm such a ditz, if MMR stands for measles mumps and rubella, why was I talking about polio?! :dohh:

They aren't available here any more.

But I would wait until atleast 15mo for her, it's been shown that given before then the measles is more likely not to work. So if it's something you want her to have I would really wait a few more months :D

If you scroll down to the MMR Vaccine section of this page, the 4th to last paragraph I believe it is is where it talks about it
https://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/MMR.aspx

I couldnt get them seperated, C had his MMR "far too late" according to some. He had it at four before he went to school.

Thanks for the info hon, interesting reading. Do you know why they don't offer the single ones in the US anymore?

Just reading there about mumps side effects which rarely are meningitis and brain damage. Such a horrible decision, significant risks whichever way you decide to go...

Have just emailed my dad to see if I had measles as a kid as that seems to be a deciding factor in waiting til 15 months - what's the chances of him remembering!

I think one of the single vaccines is no longer licenced. I am not sure exactly why - perhaps it just fell out of use when the MMR came in.

A little OT but i did hear that there was a problem with where the vaccine was sourced from and they couldnt ummm guarantee it was what is was and it was "safe" iykwim therefore couldnt become licensed in the country so thats why they stopped .. agh its late, but you'll get what i mean :lol:

I dont know how much truth there is in that though ...

No, I think I heard something similar about the licensing bit. Just so frustrating. I definitely want her to have the immunisations but I'm not comfortable with the combined jab. There don't seem to be any real choices though, it's all or nothing :(

I know .. Brooke still hasnt had hers yet and she's 16 months, i keep putting off the whole MMR thing as im unsure what to do :shrug:

Dont really know why ive ended up on this thread .. i think because its an actual conversation :rofl:

TBH I tossed and turned about C's for ages but in the end I felt he needed to have the vaccine and the only way they were available was as the combined one.

haha!

Also the guy who wrote that original article has been struck off the medical thingy, so it confuses me more! what to dooo... i have a while to think about it, but its a big decision!

yeah i think that too, i think the actuall vacine's are important, its just the combined one that puts me off. I think i would probably end up waiting till its '' far too late '' and then have it i guess,

Both my boys have had the mmr vaccines, both the year old one and the pre school booster. They are both okay but I still panicked like crazy over it. In the end I opted to go for it because no matter how much I would have preferred the single imms there is no way I could afford to go private to get them done. I'll most likely opt for the same with Cassidy, finacially it's my only option.

x

I'm not completely sure why they stopped making single here, I had heard a few diff things. One being that there was no proof one was safer than the other so no reason. Another was that they weren't very shelf stable and since most just got MMR and there was no benefit of having singles they weren't really being used. I really don't know though

Dont really know why ive ended up on this thread .. i think because its an actual conversation :rofl:

That's why I posted in here, figured there was less chance of it turning into a fight! :haha:

My main reason for being indecisive on it is that although it was "proven" that there was no link to autism, its not quite so easy to shake off when you have a family member who had his MMR and then went on to be diagnosed with Autism during the height of the whole saga, just leaves that niggling doubt in the back of your mind :(

I want her to have it .. but im unsure as to whether to look further into the singles route or just hold off giving her the combined for as long as possible.

My GP's surgery just assumed we would have it, i expected them to ask like the did with the Swine Flu one :lol:

What age is the pre school one given?

Just before they start nursery school, around 3&4 depending what month of the year they were born.

I had heard that the controversy was because autism symptoms begin to become obvious around the age of 1, hense the link between the 2? I don't think the media hype helped much. It's easy to plant doubt in peoples minds but not so easy to restore faith!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->