single "simian" line on palm of hand

meli1981

D, me, and our crazy 3!
Reaction score
Hi everyone:) im a bit concerned. Are doctors supposed to examine your newborns hands? My baby, who is four weeks old, has a single simian line on his right palm. My husband has this on both hands so i was assuming its genetic. But ive been googling, i know!, and have learned this is assotiated with a few genetic disorders. Its also extremely rare, apparently only like 5% of the population, has this. Should i be concerned? Should i talk to the doc about this? Could it mean nothing? Im kinda worried:-(

Hi, yes please talk to your HV about this. It's probably just genetic and nothing to worry about but you should make health professionals aware if no-one has noticed it.

I came across this whilst researching things about my son so I know what you're talking about. Hope it's nothing serious x

Probably best to have it checked out to be on the safe side. My high school human biology teacher was teaching us about markers for certain genetic conditions and mentioned this line. He infact had 1 single line (on both hands) and was just fine...so in some instances it does just happen. The fact ur OH has it probably means it is just genetic but check to put your mind at ease xx

This is crazy but I didn't know that it could mean anything was wrong! I have a single line on my left hand and two separate lines on my right, I'm fine :)

Don't worry too much :hugs:

I think it is typical to check these things but only follow up if there are few signs. The single line, on its own, probably isn't anything to worry about, especially if you have it in the family. My husband has it on one hand. Our son doesn't but his nephew did. With the nephew they did genetic testing for Down's because there were other signs present too but it was nothing in end.

Try to relax and just ask your HV next time you see them.

I never knew this meant anything! I gather the line everyone is talking about is the line that goes right across the middle of your hand. I have it on my left hand and my little girl has it on her right hand, I was really pleased she had it cause it was something I had and as she takes after my OH in every other way I was so pleased she had a little something of me. Now im worried, she has her mmr this afternoon so i'll ask the nurse when I see her. I am on about the right line aint I?

Yeah, basically they say if the 2 main lines at the top of the palm of your hand meet to form 1 solid line it can be a sign of certain genetic conditions. It basically looks like the top of the hand is sewn on (well thats how our teacher used to describe it). I think theres more cause for concern if its on both hands, but tbh people have it and are just fine, especially only on one hand xx

My youngest had his checked when he was born. He has simian lines on both hands and I was really upset with the hospital as they just stated it can br an indicator of various things including down syndrome, aspergers and autism then walked off! I spent so much time worrying. But hes 1 in a few weeks and so far seems to have no problems so try not to worry. I also think its more of a problem if on both hands.. if your oh has one id say its.more just genetics as hospital explained to me. We however dont have anyone in our family with it..
My oh researched it and apparantly tony blair has it amongst varipus other fampus people..
It also indicates a very strong willful personality which my lo definately lives up to!
X

My husband has it on both hands, which is why im con erned. Could he be a carrier for a genetic disorder, and passedit on to our son?

Hey Meli

My partner is a hand reader (people fly from across the world to see him) so although I don't pretend in any way to have any expertise myself, I have picked up some interesting titbits about simian lines. By all means have your LO checked out for your peace of mind, but try not to worry. It sounds like your LO has inherited his simian line from his daddy! Simian lines can be linked with certain genetic disorders (for example most people with Down Syndrome have simian lines) or learning issues (eg dyslexia). However, they are also an indication of certain personality traits - single mindedness; a tremendous focus; being very driven to achieve personal goals. People with simian lines are often very intense and have a huge amount of personal energy. One poster has already mentioned that Tony Blair has a simian line (he does). Richard Branson also has one (and interestingly he's dyslexic).

Look at it as a rare palm marking given to him by his daddy that indicates he's extra special and may have a greater chance than normal of being a high performer.

Xx

I don't know too much about this but at my 6 week pp check with my GP she checked how many 'creases' were in the hands. She had a student with her at the same time and she said something along the lines of 'you would be amazed how this often gets missed by the paediatrician when in the hospital'. So I took that as the paediatrician should check it in the hospital when the baby has been born and they should pick up any abnormalities. My mum later read why they check the creases and it can be for genetic disorders. So in summary yes it should be checked and I would certainly get the doctors to check this. I hope it all turns out to be ok for you.

My lo has this. Her pediatrician pointed out to me the day after I had her as it's soemthing they look for as a down's marker. I'm over 40. But if that is the only thing, then it doesn't really mean anything. (Plus I had genetic testing at 13 weeks so I knew she didn't have chromosome abnormalities) I asked another of her pediatricians at her 6 week appointment and he said all by itself, it didn't mean anything.

My baby was checked for this before we left hospital at the same time they checked her hips and hearing. I knew it was a downs marker too, so it was one of the first things I checked myself when she was born.

Wish I didn't google this.. apparently it's rare to have it in both hands and my lo has a single simian line on both hands! Is there any difference between a single simian line and the head and heart line just being really close together but not entirely fused as one if that makes any sense? In my lo's case, you can see a small break between the two lines in the middle of her palm so does this still count?

Her daddy and I both don't have this and there is no history of Down's in our families. So far she has been on track with all milestones and doctor hasn't mentioned anything about it. I don't even remember the hospital or our pediatrician ever checking her palms.

I guess if you believe in palmistry then maybe we just have smart babies who are destined for great things :winkwink: Though I can definitely see some of the associated personality traits already: stubborn, full of energy, super focused..

But now I'm definitely going to ask the doctor at the next visit!

I wouldn't worry if your baby has no other indicators. It is just a variation of normal. I know that 5% sounds like it is really uncommon, but that is one person in 20. That's quite a lot. I think red hair is less than 1%.

A single simian line can't be that uncommon, both OH and I have one and I know many others with it. I wouldn't worry about it unless there are other issues in which case you would want to have those checked out.

My cousin's little girl has only one line and it turned out to mean nothing. She is completely healthy toddler.

Mia try not to worry, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about (but do speak to your doctor). My son was born with an extra thumb which is 'rare' and has a few other conditions but he's doing fine. No point worrying too much especially when the info comes from Dr. Google :hugs:

Get it checked but I wouldnt worry until you can get Baby looked at-these things often dont mean a thing..
My 3yr old and 6mth old both have epicanthic folds on their eyes-which are usually found in Asian people and when found in other races is a 'sign' of down syndrome/fetal alcohol syndrome and other genetic issues..They both get it from my OH and none of them have any genetic issues. I had 3yr old checked by a ophthalmologist who said it was just rare and was gutted OH wasnt there as he would have liked to see a adult with them..its just one of the things that makes my Boys cute and I am sure the line with just be a little qirk of your Baby too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->