Sixth Percentile - Yikes!

MrsKChicago

Reaction score
Baby has been measuring between the 6th and 7th percentile for the last two ultrasounds, at 28 and 32 weeks. I just spoke to my midwife, and she isn't worried about it at this point. She said we'll be keeping an eye out with frequent ultrasounds, and to be alert about movement, but he looks healthy, fluid level is good, and she thinks he's just a little guy. But this 6th percentile thing is still freaking me out. DH and I are short but not tiny (I'm 5'4" and he's 5'7"), and neither of us was born small.

Anyone else had a totally healthy tiny baby and feel like reassuring me a bit? And are there any questions I should ask at my appointment Tuesday? The midwife said that we won't officially "worry" unless he drops below 3rd percentile, and even then it would just be more frequent scans.

My first was born at 37 weeks 1 day and weighed 5 lbs 12 oz. She was my healthiest, no jaundice or any complications. I'm 5'8 and her dad is 6'2. You'd never know if you saw her now though!

Would that not class baby as having IUGR? I am surprised no one involved in your care is bothered. Less than 10th centile is IUGR as far as I am aware.

That's what I thought. The midwife said everything else looks healthy - no change in growth rate over the last month, everything is proportional, placenta looks good, and fluid levels etc are good. So for now we're doing frequent ultrasounds to make sure nothing changes. The office is only midwives, so I'm required to see their consulting OB anyway, so we're supposed to get her opinion at that appointment (also next Tuesday).

Where I am it's only iugr if babies percentiles have actually gone down to below 10%, not if it's consistently the same small size.

Neither you nor your hubby are exactly giants... great that you're being monitored, but I wouldn't worry if your health carers aren't. Plenty of small, healthy babies around!

Thanks, ladies.

From what I recall, he was on track, plus or minus a couple days, at my 20 week scan. I didn't get a percentile that day, though, just what gestation he was measuring, and I remember it was close to accurate but not correct to the exact day like my 9 week scan was.

Hopefully the midwife is right and he's just itty bitty, but I'm glad we're keeping a close eye on things. If he's small and healthy, I'm happy, but I hope it doesn't come down to having to induce early, or something.

I did some more reading on the IUGR vs just small thing. I guess 10th percentile is when they start looking at diagnosing IUGR, but it doesn't automatically equal IUGR - 40-60% (depending who you ask) of below 10th percentile babies just have small baby genes. They also look at issues like blood flow, amniotic fluid levels, and whether the baby's chest measurements are proportional to the head (in IUGR cases, the baby prioritizes growth and sends all the nutrients to the brain so the head tends to be a higher percentile than the abdomen).

So far, the only issue we have is low percentile. In addition to keeping an eye on his growth, I assume we'll keep an eye on amniotic fluid and proportions and so on.

I've had an awful headache all day. It's no fun, but I know through the second trimester I got headaches just like this every time he went through a big growth spurt, so I'm really hoping that's what this is.

My baby was born on 20th percentile so not too small but I am 5ft9 and partner is well over 6ft! So I think in required to get growth scans this pregnancy x

If some babies weren't born in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc etc centiles then how would they classify centiles in the first place? It's normal, your LO is just small! Try not to worry. My LO was teeny too.

I just assmed under 10th centile automatically indicated IUGR as above 90th seems to be an automatic macrosomia label (it was when I was pregnant with my daughter and had GD).

Myself and my brother were under 10tu centile at birth and I think I was deemed normal but my brother had IUGR probably causes by my mum chain smoking.

Would measuring 'spot on' for 20 weeks and now very small not indicate a drop in growth?

You would think so. It would at least warrant further investigation, which sounds like it's all clear for now. When's the next test?

And minties, I think it's the large baby combined with gd that got your macrosomia label... I've had large babies and they weren't deemed macrosomia as I didn't have gd. Now I have gd and my small babies are deemed iugr.

My last ultrasound was Tuesday, I see the midwife this coming Tuesday, and it sounds like the next ultrasound is a week or two after that. Thanks to my crazy insurance, I can't actually do the ultrasounds at the midwives' office :(

If he is maintaining his growth curve, it's not iugr..just small for gestational age..way different than iugr..in SGA, baby is completely healthy..just small.. No big deal.. If a baby drops frm 40-50th %ile to 10yh, that is iugr..

Yes i was told the same. A baby is only IUGR has suddenly dropped a few percentiles. A small baby maintaining their curve is just a small baby.

Think about it, if all babies on the 10th percentile and under were deemed IUGR then that would mean 10% of all babies were being classed as having a low functioning placenta or being restricted some how from their natural growth. There will always be a lower 10% group, someone has to be in it, it's crazy to label them all IUGR. Genetics, ethnicities and the size of the parents could influence the weight into being a small bub, or the baby could just be small for no reason. It would be unfair to label them IUGR just because they're genetically small.

My daughter was born below that, perfectly healthy at 42 weeks. She had no health issues and was fine to leave hospital immediately. Getting growth scans now though because of that x

seams different in different areas my last was iugr because she was just under the 10th percentile i had to have weekly scans and they would not let me go over my due date due to more chance of stillbirth i was consultant let though and in the uk. had to go in to check on movement as well every few weeks. when she was born the placenta and cord had not formed correctly they checked for downs ect all was fine but they did say she was lucky to have made it i would want a bit more than a scan every few weeks 6th percentile is low in my opinion fx all is ok hugs hun xx

My daughter is an IUGR baby. Completely and utterly healthy, she just stopped growing due to severely restricted blood flow.

She wasn't even on the centile chart at points. Born at 38 weeks weighing 4lb 4oz. No NICU stay, no medical help whatsoever. Perfect in every way.

You would think so. It would at least warrant further investigation, which sounds like it's all clear for now. When's the next test?

And minties, I think it's the large baby combined with gd that got your macrosomia label... I've had large babies and they weren't deemed macrosomia as I didn't have gd. Now I have gd and my small babies are deemed iugr.

Interesting! Sophie didn't have the macrosomia label but the word was thrown around. Being 47cm and just under 8lbs at birth she didn't have it anyway. She was chubby though. Maybe the rules are different where I live as you don't have to have GD to have your baby classed under macrosomia. My midwife and consultant said it was any baby over 4000g at birth.

My daughter was born on the 2nd centile at 39+2 weighing 5lb 5oz. She has remained small and still follows that centile now, she is perfectly healthy (had numerous tests to rule anything out) she is just a little dot.

Having growth scans with this baby too because of Sophie's size when born.

My daughter has jumped up to the 25th. Her weight gain is faster than I can keep up with :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->