Sixth Percentile - Yikes!

My son had iugr and was born at 0.4 centile... 4lbs 6. He's fine now x

I've no experience in this myself but just wanted to say try not to worry, you are being monitored and bubba is probably just tiny.

I was born at 34 weeks and 5lb and everything worked out, you'll be fine x

Thanks for the input and positive stories, everyone!

He's been kicking up a storm all week, which is comforting. I know my midwife wants me to keep a very close eye on movement in addition to the extra medical screening. I'm feeling it more often, too, so I'm thinking I might have been right on the suspected growth spurt. I sure hope so!

My appointment with the midwife is tomorrow, so I'll update if I find out anything new. I'm planning to ask what the long term plan is, whether she thinks this will make any difference in delivery or how long they'll let him stay in, and what directions we can go in from here if he drops lower on the charts or bulks up.

Getting my first NST to make sure the little shrimp is doing well. My midwife said they'll do a more definite plan after I visit their consulting OB today. She may do an ultrasound or some other monitoring. So I should have a more firm best case and worst case scenario soon. It sounds like there's a high chance of weekly visits with NSTs, and frequent ultrasounds. So far I feel like I'm getting what I chose this practice for - vigilance without panic and rushing to intervention.

I had NST's and scans twice a week every week to check blood flow for a good few weeks :)

Good luck!

Ok, I'm copying from my due date thread rather than typing everything again.

We had a busy day with appointments. Midwives first. I was a ball of nerves at first, so my BP was a little high, but since I was anxious about the tiny baby stuff, we agreed to check again at the end, and it was much lower, back in my normal range. Phew! High BP combined with small baby points pretty heavily towards pre-eclampsia.

So, we talked over the ultrasound results, and did a non-stress test. It wasn't as conclusive as the midwife hoped, because my brat child slept through it. His heart rate was in the normal range, but she wasn't able to check out what it did as he moved around because he didn't move around much. We ended up cutting that a little short (if a 90 minute appointment can be considered short) because I had the OB visit, and my midwife thought we'd probably get better information there anyway.

So, off to the OB. My blood pressure was even lower there, even though the NST made me a little nervous. We talked a bit, discussed the ultrasounds, and she did an ultrasound of her own. I really appreciated that she was very transparent about what we were looking at, as opposed to the tech I have at the imaging center who really leaves me out of the loop. I'm 33+5, and she said he was measuring 34 weeks. But she also said that according to her measurements, I'd be due March 10, and I'm due March 5, so I'm a little confused... But a 5 day difference doesn't bug me, I know there's a lot of "normal" range with ultrasounds, and she said (very tactfully) that my weight makes it a little harder to get fully accurate.

So, he looked good on the ultrasound. Still good fluid, his size looked better (maybe that growth spurt I suspected last week amounted to something), good movement, etc. She said that if I'd had certain other symptoms (high BP is the one I remember) and a 6th percentile baby, she'd have been looking at delivering him. As it is, since he looks good, I go back to the midwives in a week for another NST, then to the OB afterwards for a biophysical profile. If that all looks good, she's releasing me back to just the midwives unless there's some delivery complication (which would apply to any of the midwives' patients). If it doesn't look good, course of action would depend on the results, I guess. Either way, the midwives will keep a close eye on us and it looks like I'm being bumped up to every week appointments early. And I'm supposed to call the midwives immediately if I notice any decrease in movement.

All in all, it's a little overwhelming but mostly reassuring. I'm off to research biophysical profiles so I know what to expect.

Delivering there and then because he was measuring around the 6th percentile? That seems a bit hasty!

As I mentioned, my daughter wasn't even measuring on the percentile chart but, with twice weekly appointments, I was able to keep her in until 38 weeks.. she didn't grow at all but I was kept an eye on. When she started to lose more weight, that's when we got her out. I was bang on 38 weeks. She was an exceptionally healthy girl, if small at 4lb 4oz.

Delivering there and then because he was measuring around the 6th percentile? That seems a bit hasty!

Only if I'd had other troubling symptoms. The only one I remember was consistent high blood pressure, because in these cases it generally means preeclampsia, but there were a few others she mentioned. None of them were relevant to me, thankfully.

That sounds very promising! It sounds like they're taking great care of you and baby. :)

Only if I'd had other troubling symptoms. The only one I remember was consistent high blood pressure, because in these cases it generally means preeclampsia, but there were a few others she mentioned. None of them were relevant to me, thankfully.

Oh yeah, that makes sense!

My daughter kept measuring small and by the time I had my 37 week appt, she was 6th percentile. I was induced the next day! She was 5lbs 8oz at birth and perfect :) my ob figured she'd grow better on the outside now than the inside and she was classed IUGR. I was told it's IUGR once it reaches below 10%. :shrug:

Here, IUGR is below 10% and for a reason. Like, just being under 10% doesn't mean they're growth restricted, just small.

I saw the midwives and OB again yesterday, and still don't really have any answers. NST looked good, and he looked healthy on a quick ultrasound (good fluid levels, breathing movements, etc). The OB said she had a long talk with the radiologist who reviewed my two weird scans, and compared measurements, and I guess we're back to being concerned about his proportions, not his total size.

She had me book a growth scan and another NST on Monday, and wants me at the midwives for weekly NSTs no matter what. Hopefully we'll find out more after the formal growth scan. She wants me to go to the hospital where I'll be having the baby instead of the imaging center the midwives send me to, which I thought was interesting. I wonder if that means she's just not too confident in the measurements the imaging center was getting and wants a different opinion.

The not knowing is driving me crazy. The OB and midwives are happy to answer questions, but there's not much they can really tell me if we don't know exactly what the issue is. We were originally told his femurs were short, and based on research I've done, that can be a soft marker for Down Syndrome, but the odds of that seem extremely low in my case - it's almost never the only marker for DS, and as far as I know I don't have any other signs, and my first trimester screening came back very low risk. It can also be a sign of skeletal dysplasia. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have any signs of the really severe, fatal forms, but that doesn't mean there isn't potentially a skeletal issue at play. Or we could be back to looking at IUGR, or it could still just be a case of short parents making short babies. I'm thinking about emailing DH's uncle to see if he can shed any light on birth sizes on that side of the family.

You are getting great treatment and I don't think you have anything to worry about. I think much research won't do anything, but bring up more things to be worried about. Try relax :flower:

All my babies have been very small ... Around the 6th percentile and were all very healthy and normal.

Hey ladies. I didn't want to wander off and never update. We got the results of our growth scan, and the OB says everything looks normal, within a week or so of gestational age. We've been officially released from OB care and we're back to just the midwives. I'm getting weekly NSTs til the end, but it seems like more of a just in case thing than an actual worry.

No idea why his measurements were so goofy before, but we're very relieved that things look good now. Thanks for all the input and support!

Thanks, hon. I'm very curious to see how big he is when he's born now!

That's great news! Thanks for updating us...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->