Skiing?

Lyns

Mama to two <3
Reaction score
Has anyone here managed a skiing holiday with a LO under the age of two?

We are thinking of going.....just lost a baby and need a holiday, but I have a daughter who will be just under 2 when we go. As we want to try again for another baby next year, it could be a couple of years again before we manage a ski holiday.

OH is an expert skier and snowboarder (ex-instructor too) and has skied before with children in a papoose, which he seems quite confident at but I was just wondering if other had tried it and had any good advice on resorts to consider ....or stay away from!

Thanks!

Would you not rather go alone and leave your daughter with a grandparents?? I dont think id be comfortable taking a toddler on any vacation type trip... but thats just me.

I havent but I would take a LO on a snowy holdiay. Maybe not skiing with them in a sling or whatever, but I see no reason to go and let them play in the snow - maybe go with a group and take turns skiing with your OH? Or do some snow shoeing with the kiddies onboard.

We nearly went to Saas Fee in Switzerland last weekend but unfortunately LO was ill. Otherwise we'd have been there playing in the snow while OH skied.
I'd suggest anywhere where you dont have to drive far - French Alps maybe.

If you were beginners I'd have suggested my own little holiday let where we have small ski resorts of the Mons Jura nearby: www.la-dependance.co.uk ;-)

Would you not rather go alone and leave your daughter with a grandparents?? I dont think id be comfortable taking a toddler on any vacation type trip... but thats just me.

Not for me really....it's a family holiday or nothing. We've been through quite a lot over the last year (she was diagnosed with cancer at 6 weeks - although she is fully recovered now) so we want to do something we can all do...she's a strong bold little thing now, loves sailing and climbing so far, so I think she'll adore the snow!

I appreciate its personal opinion though....I can see how a holiday without could be attractive, but not for us in this instance.

Thanks for the thought.:hugs:

I havent but I would take a LO on a snowy holdiay. Maybe not skiing with them in a sling or whatever, but I see no reason to go and let them play in the snow - maybe go with a group and take turns skiing with your OH? Or do some snow shoeing with the kiddies onboard.

We nearly went to Saas Fee in Switzerland last weekend but unfortunately LO was ill. Otherwise we'd have been there playing in the snow while OH skied.
I'd suggest anywhere where you dont have to drive far - French Alps maybe.

If you were beginners I'd have suggested my own little holiday let where we have small ski resorts of the Mons Jura nearby: www.la-dependance.co.uk ;-)

Thanks....will have a little look anyway! :hugs:

oh typo. Mons jura = Monts Jura. Just doing a bit of free advertising there. Hope it's not against baby and bump policy?!

how do you feel about her being in a sling skiing? I know its a personal opinion, I just dont think tht is very safe, expert or not. ?Unless you are going cross-country skiing, lol...

Like tinytoes suggested maybe there is something else you can do?

I do professional horse training but I wouldnt be taking my baby in a sling on my horse... just isnt safe.

how do you feel about her being in a sling skiing? I know its a personal opinion, I just dont think tht is very safe, expert or not. ?Unless you are going cross-country skiing, lol...

Like tinytoes suggested maybe there is something else you can do?

I do professional horse training but I wouldnt be taking my baby in a sling on my horse... just isnt safe.

I'm not sure.... I'm trying to research it all a bit more, before forming an opinion. It would be a framed carrier as opposed to sling....designed for sports carrying and she's be in a helmet and protective gear. We certainly wouldn't be going on any tough stuff, with her....if hubby feels he needs a blast, me and her will be in the mountain restaurants drinking hot chocolate while he carves the sloped alone! He would also stick to ski's as its safer than boarding in that instance because of posture and balance.

We would really stay on nursery and blue with her....where the mountain is incredibly safe and very shallow, open and readable. But I won't make my mind up until we've looked at resorts and equipment...

He's very confident, says he is utterly happy to take her...it would only be some gentle stuff for a couple of days to get her used to the mountain air. He's not an irresponsible type at all...in fact quite the opposite, being military he's normally over-cautious, and I trust him 110% with her safety....she is his world.

Lots of research to do, me thinks...

I think I would take my LO on a snowy Holiday, as you say you trust your OH and I think its helps he is experienced.

I think you would have a lovely time, its not like you have to stay on the slops all day,

So Sorry to hear about your loss!! :hugs:

Your little Girl sounds like a fighter! I think you would all love it and obviously they have profesionals about the resorts, plus there are creches and things 9/10 on resorts, I used to do travel & tourism and worked in a travel shop for a wee while and its not uncommen for people to take infants on skiing Holidays.

I think it could be fun, my parents had my brother on skis around 2 years old, as my father was a ski patrol guy at a resort at the time, so it just made sense to get him into it.

Somewhere there is a totally cute picture of my brother about 2 years old standing on skis, holding both mums hands while standing with his skis between her skis (if that makes sense for a visual?)

I think it could be fun, my parents had my brother on skis around 2 years old, as my father was a ski patrol guy at a resort at the time, so it just made sense to get him into it.

Somewhere there is a totally cute picture of my brother about 2 years old standing on skis, holding both mums hands while standing with his skis between her skis (if that makes sense for a visual?)

Awww now that sounds so cute!

i think you should go for it sounds like you have it all planned hope you have a great time and im so sorry to hear about your loss

Hi, we love skiing and would love to take our ds 19 mths but we don't have the money. If I were going though I would go with friends and take it in turns to ski one am one pm, I'd be the pm so I could sleep in lol. Maybe use the sling on the odd occasion when you want to ski together. Some resorts have great day care but I am not sure what age they take them for lessons. I think they have to be out of nappies. I'd look at a resort that has plenty for non skiers ie swimming pools, sleigh rides, shopping etc. Enjoy yourself what ever you do as it sounds like you've had a pretty rough time.

My best friends little on goes skiing with them ... he's now 5 but he was 2 when they 1st went ... he loved every second and is totally fearless ... they have a good crèche where they stay so they get 'couple' time too. Her OH is also an ex instructor, did 5 seasons in Switzerland which is where they met :rofl: ... he was 100% with Tom the 1st year not sure if they had a carrier .. I presume so.
Last couple of years he's been on blades with his daddy teaching him.
Your OH sounds like he'd love to take your girl and you prob couldn't get a better person .. by the sounds of it? Also sounds like you'd love the break and holiday.

:hug: so so sorry to hear of your loss honey

I was thinking - hows about somewhere like Avoriaz where they have the horse drawn sledges for taxis? Bound to be a winner for any kid if you ask me. No idea what else could be child friendly though but the skiing should be good?
It's car free too - good so LO should be a little safer toddling about in town (if you watch out for the horses!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->