Skips, Wotsits and Quavers

Mummy_to_be87

Reaction score
My friend and I have babies a week apart and we met up for lunch this afternoon, I was surprised when she opened a packet of Quavers and gave it to her son, who is a week away from 5 months, she says that he eats skips, wotsits and quavers and she doesnt see the problem with giving him them, what is everyones views on this and is it safe? :shrug:

Can I ask...what in earth is a skip, whatsit or quaver? We don't have things with those names in the US. :)

imo it's way too early for anything like that before six months, I definitely would not recommend. I know they'll just melt in the mouth but ugh, no way would I give them to my baby under six months!

Woah! I'm hoping not to wean until 6months but I still wouldn't be giving my LO crisps like that until he's a bit older! x

They're crisps - but lower calories - like corn snacks. Amd er no way would I give them to my child at that age!!!!! I can;t believe her to be honest. I won;t deny my child these things but a) I will wait until they are a decent age and b) I don;t see the point in introducing crisps and sweet things until they become aware of them - why make them aware of these things before they have to be?

I also think it is way too early but I didnt want to judge her and didnt ask her about it but I kept thinking what if he chokes on them, I have started weaning my DD but she only gets fruit and baby rice :D

They're crisps - but lower calories - like corn snacks. Amd er no way would I give them to my child at that age!!!!! I can;t believe her to be honest. I won;t deny my child these things but a) I will wait until they are a decent age and b) I don;t see the point in introducing crisps and sweet things until they become aware of them - why make them aware of these things before they have to be?

I agree! What's the point in giving them a treat when they aren't aware it's a treat yet? A bit silly. I'd much rather fill my LO with fruits and veggies at that age xo

Can I ask...what in earth is a skip, whatsit or quaver? We don't have things with those names in the US. :)

I wonder about these things frequently. :haha:

Snack type foods like chips, cheese doodles etc, I would wait until the child was at least around a year and eating all table foods well. That's usually when they start getting demanding about wanting whatever you're eating, a 4 month old won't notice.

I would be worried incase they chocked or something!
I would let them eat wotsits or skips as there abit soft but not at that age maybe when there a toddler!

xxxx

If these things are anything like a potato chip (sorry, I'm from the U.S. so not real familiar with a crisp) then they are definitely a major choking hazard.

I didn't realize this until I gave my daughter a chip on her first birthday and she nearly choked to death.

I would at least wait until they have some molars to crush them up.

I have given my lo the odd quaver when I am eating them as she will try and grab them. I wouldn't have given her anything like that at 4/5 months though, only recently just 1 or 2.

x

I wouldn't either at that age. The salt content of those things is horrendous (which puts stress on baby's kidneys) and there's not really anything useful in them. Plus it introduces artificial flavours before baby is used to natural ones and may contribute to unhealthy eating habits and preferences later on. So none of that for us for a while...

No I wouldnt offer them either, I dont understand the need to be honest. They are like a potato chip, but they melt in the mouth. I do think they could be a chock hazard still, but my main concern would be introducing foods that they plainly just dont need?!

I won't be giving Ashley any crisps until he's much much older. The salt content really puts me off and it would be bad for their teeth.

Willow has quavors. There actually not very far off the baby crisps you get.

Cheese puffs arnt that bad eithier. Obviusly fruit is better but for me having a toddler who is always hungry willow had crisps earlier then River ever did.

She didn't have them until 8 months ish but they are no more dangerous then say rusks which seem to be given regularly to bsbys from 4 months and even younger

The organix range do 'finger foods' that are like vegetable versions of corn snacks, for eg sweetcorn rings that look like onion ring crisps. They are for 7m+ and if my LO started trying to steal my crisps I'd get them these as a good, healthy alternative!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->