Skips, Wotsits and Quavers

It's a little odd. Fair enough hungry baby if she's got one but have age appropriate food and baby suppliers. e.g. for me and Isaac he has Organix carrot sticks. Same corn snacks but just pure goodness and they are rather big so only needs two-three before he's happy etc.

I give Mollie the odd rice cake for babies but I really dont see the need to give actual crisps

Although Quavers are not something I would give to LO every day she does have a couple when she goes round to Grandma's house (about once a week) and I don't have a problem with it.

She eats the healthy stuff we usually give her with gusto and I keep an eye on her salt (Quavers have 0.45g per bag, did you know a slice of Warburton's bread has 0.4g?)

Age wise I personally felt better sticking with the guidelines for finger foods from 6m and I wouldn't give her a whole bag just because once the rest of her days food was taken into account it would probably be going up near/over her salt limit.

About a month back I let LO have a little taste of my ice cream when we went to the seaside, and last week I let her have 1/2 a chip at the restaurant while her food (which they had heated to a temperature hotter than the sun!!!) cooled down. When I read some of the replies on threads like this one it does make me wonder if I am being discussed on a forum somewhere by folk who have happened to see this :haha:

My LO has the organix snacks but has had wotsits and skips as they melt in the mouth but only once a week if that and usually only 5 or 6. I tend to bring them out if we've gone out for lunch or something as it keeps him quiet and its a bit of a treat to pick at along with half grapes etc.
He only has had them since he was 9 months, i wouldnt have given them at 5 months! no way esp quavers as they are quite hard.

Each to their own I guess!!

Not at that age. Cheese based crisps like Quavers are lower in salt than regular crisps so are a better choice for older children than regular crisps but I didn't give them until LO was 1+. Before that, I gave him Organix snacks occasionally from when he was about 9 months ish.

I only recently (last week) given those crisps to my lb before that it was the organix snacks

Deffo not at 5 months though

Gosh my LC never gets such delights and he is nearly 7 years old! Very rarely he will have crispies and they are always viewed as a treat! Luckily tho as he doens't have them he doesn't ask for them or want them or miss them? IMO I don't agree with such things at a young age... :O)

My daughter is 2.5 years old and she wouldnt even be given a pack at this age!!

If my mum happens to have a pack of them when she arrives then I might put 4 or 5 in a bowl for my daughter. She didnt have anything like skips/wotsits til at least 1.5 yrs old and then it was only 1 for each hand!!:wacko:

My toddler has these on occasion (though Wotsits are rare as they are just SO messy) and think he started having them as a rare treat at about a year old. I don't believe in completely banning or limiting food, especially as we did baby led weaning. Would I give them to a 4 month old though? Heck no xx

I wouldnt have at that age... but I do sometimes buy a packet of quavers and let Paige have some. She would never be allowed to eat a full packet, but I see no problem with her having them once or twice a week. Her snacks are usually fruit, but on occasion she has a biscuit, small cake, crisps or a small amount of chocolate... (can you tell Im not one of those who freaks out about every little thing that goes in my childs mouth?)

Basically, I wouldnt have given them before maybe 8 months or so, but each to their own I guess!

Nope I didn't give Imogen stuff like that for ages then fhe'd I ly have 1/4 of a bag, I'd eat the rest ha ha. I personally thing under 6 months is a no no, but each to their own and all that lol. X

For those across the pond, think cheesies. My lo has had maybe 6 wotsits and that's only been in the last 6 weeks or so. He loves the hipp rice cakes or cheerios for snacks or to keep him contented while i'm getting his meal

My two have quavers and I think I started giving them to them around 8/9 months but I don't give them wotsits or skips. Wotsits, especially, are utterly vile and I really hate how they stain everything! The organix snacks are great though and are often cheap in poundland or Home Bargains.

Harvey is almost 3 and I still wouldn't give him a bag of Wotsits or Quavers. If I was eating them then I'd give him a few but not a whole packet. Usually he has Organix crisps, which Vincent hasn't even tried yet at 11m.
He's great with finger foods but loves rice cakes, breadsticks and cheese so we tend to stick with those.

We were told to give them to our oldest by our dietician.(weight issues) I have no issues in that regard. But I feel that is a little early

We have only started giving crisps as a little treat/snack very recently.. From around 15 months... He is 20 months now... No way would I give a 5 month old quavers/wotsits/skips.......

My daughter loves the Organix snacks but I wouldn't give her a pack of quavers or anything like that! She did have a 'crisp' at about 4 months though: she was on my lap when I was eating a pack of Velvet Crunch (quinoa based rice cake style snack) and she stuck her hand in the bag and started sucking on it before I had a chance to stop her! I was very surprised she enjoyed it as it was Thai Sweet Chilli flavour and we hadn't even started weaning yet so she hadn't experienced flavour! Now I give her half of one when I have a pack so I'm in control of how much she has! The same goes for chocolate: she has a small amount when we have it so she doesn't try to steal it off us when we're not paying attention! She's always been very aware and inevitably wants something that she sees us enjoy! I'm very much of a mind that if she gets small amounts of 'bad' foods every so often as a matter of course rather than as a treat then she's more likely to eat it as part of a balanced diet when she's older rather than say buying tons of sweets, chocolate, crisps, etc as soon as she gets her own money. As far as I can see it's part of the human condition to want what you can't have, especially when you see other people enjoying it!

That said, I wouldn't have voluntarily fed her any form of snack food a 4 months! I had a hard enough time getting over the fact that I had to start weaning her at 17 weeks because she was just hungry and had been for weeks and I'd tried everything I could to put it off! :dohh:

Beca :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"