Sleeping bags vs. blankets

tinyme77

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm preparing my shopping list for his arrival and am trying to decide between sheets and blankets and sleeping bags. I'm expecting him to be in a carry cot or an actual cot.

Any opinions gratefully received?

I prefer sleeping bags as she couldn't wiggle out of them and get to cold!

Sleeping Bags definately. Seren was always kicking out of her sheets and crying because she was cold in the night, sleeping bags solved that problem straight away.

zane hates sleeping bags hes got a baby quilt :)

i wash zanes sheets once a week now but wen he was newborn everyday cuz he was sick at night.

have u thought about trying swaddling? zane liked it for afew weeks

I like the look of them as the babies look so sweet in the photos, but they are more expensive than duvets. I'm planning the initial purchases and don't want to buy things that i don't end up using. I'm thinking on buying a couple of blankets and a couple of sleeping bags to see what he likes. Once i know then i can send my OH out shopping for more. Is that enough? If i want enough to get us through 3 days should i get 3? This sounds so stupid.
Given that it is summer i'm hoping that the bag will keep him at the right temp.

u shud be fine with just 1 sleeping bad and maybe 3 blankets as baby will be very hot in u and feel the cold more then we do for the first few days. At first i swaddled zane with 1 blanket and covered him with another if i felt cold he also wores a vest and sleepsuit.

as everything its trial and error, zane hated sleeping bags but other babies love them.

good luck

We use sleeping bags. AJ hates blankets and will cry before kicking them off.

i was firmly in the "blankets" camp til Abz arrived and we were given a sleeping bag as a gift.... now I have a small collection of those and the blankets are only really used in her pram for daytime naps or carseat :)

I used sleeping bag when he was younger and it was great. He would kick covers off! Only had the one as it rarely needed washing, depends if you have a sicky baby or not i guess!

We did swaddling for 3 months, sleeping bags for a few weeks, and back to blankets. Amelie likes being held down quite tightly sleeping :rofl:

Sleeping bags are great for making sure they don't kick covers off... but Harry used to get very cold little arms in the winter. He'd go to bed wearing a vest, sleep suit and 2.5 tog sleeping bag... and his little arms were as cold as stone. We used to have to put a cardigan on him and often ended up putting blankets over him too as we never found the sleeping bags were warm enough (we didn't have the heating on at night).

I think you should get both;

Sleeping bags are nice because they can't kick them off (Elyse is always kicking her blankets off if she goes down in her crib awake or if she squirms in her sleep or if she wakes up)

BUT blankets are good to have for extra warmth, to swaddle with, to use in the stroller, to put over the baby's body in the car seat when it's chilly, for layering (ie: could put baby in clothes + sleeping bag + blanket if it was a cold night before your heat goes on)... AND they're good for putting on the floor for baby to play on -- no carpet burn, and hardwood floors are a bit hard for them.. and blankets IDK make me feel better about her playing on the floor as they're "cleaner"? :)

So yeah I would probably buy both!!

From experience I would recommend getting both if you can. If hyour baby is a fidget then a sleeping bag is ideal, although I dont think they are recommended for babies under 7.5lbs. I put Evie in her sleeping bag for night time, and blankets for during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->