Sleepless and autism

smurff

Mummy to Emily and Harry
Reaction score
Hi, my dd is 4, has learning difficulties and is globally delayed with possible autism. We're almost certain she's autistic and have been told by many professionals that they think she us but they won't test her till she's 5.
She always has a bed routine, she has some warm milk, teeth brushed then into bed. We allow her to watch a bit of tv for about 30 mins and as soon as what she's watched is finished she jumps into bed and goes sleep. She normally sleeps from about 8.30pm till 7:30am.
For the last few weeks she's been going bed normal time but she seems very hyper, she won't jump into bed and just wants to run around and play in her room. When I tell her to jump into bed she just laughs and keeps giving me cuddles. She's going sleep now about 11:30pm and waking around 7am.
I'm just wondering if Autistic children who have trouble sleeping were always that way or is it something that happened gradually.

My DS hasn't been diagnosed but has autistic traits and we've found we've had to change his bedtime routine sometimes when he's finding certain aspects too stimulating. We had to cut out the bedtime stories a while ago as he was waking up lots as they would be going round in his head. We did do teeth, potty, bath, story, cuddles, bed. Now he goes straight from his bath to cuddles to bed and he's sleeping much better.

In your case I would cut the tv.

Cut the tv.. Could be worth a try, they say not to much screen time before bed helps.

My sons not going to sleep as quick as he was but I think it's because it's a lot lighter a lot later atm

My son used to be like this up to all hours plus he'd wake up early hours and was difficult to get him back down thankfully he's settled down alot
What worked for us was putting his bedtime back quite a bit he go's to sleep at 9 any earlier and hes up and down through the night
I relise this is very late for some bit you could try putting it back say 30 mins a hour maybe add in some quite time in the bedroom with a celling projector or a story book
Not sure how your daughter is with her comunacation and language but have a look at pecs bedtime routine boards they can be a great visual for kids on the spectrum understand what's next.
Good luck xx

My son is autistic and yes some
Nights he will play in his room till nearly eleven.
Nothing in his day or what we do seems to influence whether he goes to sleep instantly or not.
To be honest as he's just playing in his room generally we just leave him to it. We can't force him to go go sleep.

If she's always had a good routine I would try and say it's autism as my first guess. Kids go through all kinds of sleep patterns and these light nights and morning many kids are getting up at stupid o'clock. My dd1 was 3 she went through this for a few nights she would get up at 3am and stay awake til like 6am fall asleep for an hour then great up. She soon fell back into her normal pattern though

I would suggest cut the TV too.

Our daughter sleep has always been super awful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->